Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

Hadn't heard that. I was told the new ultra low sulfer fuel made diesel less polluting than gas. There's certainly no diesel odor or black smoke from the late models I've seen/smelled. I know one Safeway gas station in Washington State had 20% soy bio-diesel. The problem for older pre '07 diesel engines and the low sulfer fuel is supposed to be a lack of lubricity causing wear on the turbo. But then, the local Chevy dealer claims no need for any additive as the oil companies already add it.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:cFl2j.27336$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

You need high purity urea:

Reply to
Han

I wasn't in the boardroom, were you? I understand you were on the factory floor and have a viewpoint of what you saw from there. I can't say I'm pleased w/ the decision either, simply that I have too little actual factual information to judge other than from the decision made apparently the markets and profitability weren't to the level desired so a decision was made to change.

Whether it will turn out to have the desired overall end effect isn't yet known for longterm even though certainly it isn't clear it has had the desired effect for the type of folks who tend to congregate here. What it will do for their overall market share, etc., is still to be determined.

--

Reply to
dpb

Two quick questions:

  1. Wasn't Most Favored Nation trading status granted to China in 1980 under the Carter administration?
  2. Under what Constitutional provision or by what specific law would this or any other president be able to restrain trade for non-beligerant merchandise?

No ax to grind, no desire for an argument, just questions.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

And there are (or at least were) some reasons for that -- noisier, odor, harder starting in cold weather, relative limited fuel availability for passenger cars (rather than commercial trucks), inexpensive gaoline, etc., certainly played a role in there not being much of a significant demand. More recently, it's been the EPA emission standards that apply to passenger vehicles as opposed to trucks that are a hindrance.

I would wager if the fuel costs and distances in other parts of the world, primarily Europe, had been similar that the similarities to US vehicles would be far more than they are. As the saying goes, "different time, different place".

--

Reply to
dpb

But apparently the volume wasn't sufficient to convince them it was in their best interests to continue catering solely to that segment as a distinguishing characteristic...

--

Reply to
dpb

I remember in the late 70's when GM could not put a bed on a pick-up that aligned with the back glass. New trucks on the lot looked like thay had been wrecked when looked at from the rear.

Yes, and partial thanks goes to Detroit and the labor unions that had the strangle hold. Had they not charged too much for poor quality the Japanese would not be quite as far along as they are today.

Reply to
Leon

Yep, isn't that delightful. As one who has always changed oil myself, I really like that. I did have to learn (the hard way) that the "catch"tray around the filter will not actually hold the entire contents of the filter ( I would have bet good money it would) and that one should pull the drain plug and place a container beneath first, but after that lesson, I'm happy.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Those of us that tow 5th wheel trailers love diesel power/torque and mileage compared to gas. You can pretty much tell what's under the hood when you come to a long uphill grade. My tow runs about 11,000 gross with a 1200 lb hitch weight. Other than occasional light chucking, the rear view mirror is the main indication something is behind the truck.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

LOL, The interior is on par with GM however I think I prefer the vinyl over the plastic door trim panels. Other than that everything else looks better. IMHO. ;~) Oh, and the 5.7 does have enough power. ;~)

You have the V6, I was delighted to see the oil filter on top when I took the Tundra V6 on a test drive. Unfortunately the 5.78 has a hidden oil filter that to this day I have not seen. I think it is located on the bottom front of the engine above a skid plate. It may very well pay to let the dealer change the oil, all 7 to 8 quarts. I'll have to watch them on the first change and see where the filter is and how much trouble it will be to change it.

Reply to
Leon

Have you tried letting the vehicle set for 10-15 minutes to let the oil in the filter drain back in to the engine? Or is there a check valve that prevents that?

Reply to
Leon

Maybe because we know there are answers other than driving glorified bubbles powered by lawn mower engines? We have ample opportunity, shale oil in the west, Anwar to the north, oil off of Florida before the Chinese and Cubans suck it dry, etc. The reserves are there, but the will to overcome the resistance to developing our own sources seems to be weak.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

You got that right.

A 20 oz. soda bottle sits nicely on the belt to collect what falls in the drip tray.

What, there's no drip tray on other trucks?

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

The 4.0 has plenty of power in the Tacoma!

Sorry!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I'm also looking for a replacement, and I've been to both CDN and US Sears sites. The US price looks good. The CDN price - not so much.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

I guess their is a check valve. The vehicle sat for at least that long on my last oil change.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

No, I was a vice president, a company officer fully exposed to all financial data specific to the company in all segments. The group and corporate financial information was available to anyone who asked for an annual report. There is nothing "secret" that happened in the boardroom that would negate the actual financial results of the specific company or my operation. It is as I described and I'm constrained by confidentiality agreements that outlive my employment from going into any more detail than that although they don't mean much at this point.

I understand you were on the

See above.

I can't

The operation met and far exceeded all the financial targets for growth, return on invested capital, cash flow, and return on sales when many operations in the corporation were not meeting them. See again the statement about unmitigated greed (and stupidity should be added). If that is not enough "factual" information, so be it.

You don't know about the concept of present value do you. At this point in history, the chances of it turning out with the desired overall end effect financially are zero. The group was sold at a deep discount (about $500 million) to sales volume after a number of break even years followed the disastrous strategy. So those corporate officers can *never* recoup what they have lost for the stockholders of the corporation. It's lost for good.

even though certainly it isn't clear it has had

What do you mean by that? The desired effect of the corporate hacks who initiated the strategy was to ruin the reputation of the brand and lose significant market share? That has already happened. And believe me when you have market share, it is a lot easier to keep it than it is to get it back. My career was devoted to keeping and growing it.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Do you use Toyota filters?

I use the OEM filters, ($4.22/ea. if I buy 2 at the dealer, free plug washers included...) and by the time I get the truck up on my ramps and drain the oil, the filter is nearly empty.

Or, do you pull the filter before draining the pan?

Maybe aftermarket filters have some sort of check valve, which isn't necessary due to the location of the filter in relation to the lubricated parts?

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

LOL. that sounds par. I guess you had better still be quick. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

... snip

It's good to hear from someone with a close perspective of the situation.

... snip

Did the off-shoring decision occur before or after Pentair sold Delta?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita