Do I really need Dewalt's top 'o the line planer?

Page 1 of 2
I've looked at the new Dewalt 735 three-knife cutter-head planer, and all the sales guys say it is really the thing to have. But a friend has the 733, which is almost $200 cheaper. He says he has had almost no snipe, and rarely needs to give the boards more than minor sanding.
I've used a planer maybe once in the past 20 years; if YOU were buying a new one next week, and cost was somewhat of a factor, which would you spring for if this were the one you were going to keep for the next 10+ years? What are some of the significant performance differences? Keep in mind I am buying the little Performax 10-20 sander too . . .
Thanks!
Scott
i've got the 733 and wish it would blow up so I could justify getting the 735. The first time you change knives on the 733 you'll be kicking yourself for not getting the 735. As competent as the 733 is, the 735 is a huge improvement over it, especially when it comes to maintenance. Spread out of many years, the price difference is irrelevant.
dave
Scott wrote:

Is it really that bad to change the knives on the 733? I haven't had to change them on mine yet. actually I never even turned it on, buts that's another stony. Tony D.

if you care about "perfect" alignment, than, yes, it's a PITA. Even using the alignment fixtures provided by DeWalt, if you recheck alignment with a dial indicator you'll probably find that the fixtures aren't all that wonderful for aligning the blades. I followed their instructions and can say that the procedure exceeds my patience quotient. I've seen the insides of the 735. It uses self indexing blades. Again, I'm hoping my 733 takes a dump. :)
dave
Anthony Diodati wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

Why not try to sell it? ;-) Some people have more patience than $ & would be glad to get it.
-- Mark
to tell you the truth I don't like selling stuff. I usually throw things out because I have no patience to field phone calls and spend money an ad for something that might not sell. I've had varied success with selling stuff in the newspaper and I'm not an E-bay kinda person. I'm not much for garage sales either, as most folks want things for next to nothing and again, I've not got the patience to sit around on a summer day waiting to make a couple of bucks.
dave
Mark Jerde wrote:

I'd gladly do it for ya' for a cut. <G>
Barry
"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote in message

Damn bass players are worse than drummers, they will do anything for a buck.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04

Yes, indeed!
I tell my nephew all the time, good bass players are always working, and the chicks think will think it's a guitar! <G>
Barry
in message wrote:

buck.
It all boils down to how attitude and how you move your fingers. I've perfected a fake that has cameramen and photographers zeroing in on me when the guitar player takes a ride ... really p*sses him off. ;>)
Besides, at my age the chicks are no longer an issue, so you gotta do something for entertainment.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04

I remember seeing Chicago at Tanglewood, which is normally the summer home of the Boston Pops, about 15 years ago. One of the spotlights kept picking up the trombone player during trumpet solos. After about five times, the trombone player put his horn down and pointed at the trumpet player. <G>
Do you have DirecTV? If so have you caught Big Bad Voodoo Daddy on the freeview yet? GREAT SHOW!
Barry
"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote in message

Nope, I'd love to see it though ... but I'll tell you who blew both me and my 18 year old daughter away last night. I had an early gig, from 3 to 7, at a big ole Texas dance hall and really wasn't up for more music, but I got back just in time to see the Diana Krall Trio on the Ovation channel ... man oh man, that is some of the hottest playing I've seen in years. The bass player is absolutely a-w-e-s-o-m-e, as is everyone.
That said, I need to look into getting an industrial strength planer ... these lunch boxes just aren't cutting it any more for me. I've got a project coming up with a 7' X 4' X 2" table top, with 4" square legs and I'm thinking of upgrading my Ridgid. Nothing against the Ridgid, as its does a fine job on 3/4" stock, but for some reason I really have to struggle with it on thicker material. I'll probably keep it. What's that they say - can't have too many planers, right?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

That's pretty damn high for a bass player!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04

Free beer?
Barry
"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote in message

Now you're talking!! <g>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04

<SNIP>
I agree that selling old stuff can be a pain in the butt, but I have found a way that sorts out most of bottom feeders. I have access to the Microsoft internal classified ads so advertise the item and ask for a small donation to Habitat For Humanity. Last month I did it with a nice portable miter stand. The guy was thrilled to get it and the charity got a check for $30. I am going to do it again tomorrow with a 6" grinder that I no longer use.
Bob McBreen - Yarrow Point, WA
Dave,
Unless your 733 has a problem or the alignment fixtures are cracked or something - they do damn near a perfect job. But I understand when you say that you get less than satisfactory readings using a dial indicator to check their alignment.
I'll make an assumption that you are using that nice shiny base plate right below the blades as the spot to place you dial indicator - right? If so, then that is your problem - not the blade aligners.
Remove that base (one small screw in each corner) and then measure and I'll bet you will find a world of difference! If the blades are higher at one end than the other its probably not the blades that need alignment - it's the whole upper mechanism. Remember that post I made several weeks ago (the one you said in a moment of weakness - was a keeper)? Go to their site and check out the alignment procedures.
I've had my 733 all apart recently just to clean, lube and align it and after re-assembling everything and checking, the 10" wide board I tested was the same thickness on each side after planing.
The only problem I've ever had aligning the blades was trying to use a cracked alignment fixture - which I didn't notice but it sure misaligned the blades alright... They sent me a replacement and it takes about 10 mins to replace and re-align a set of blades.
Bob S.

A weak moment? Nah, that WAS a keeper! I've got it securely tucked away in a Word document.
Anywho, I've already done the chain adjustment thingy. It worked well to adjust for a slightly cocked cutter head. The trouble I have is getting new blades both set to exactly the same height, even when using those plastic/magnetic fixtures. Their positions vary a bit when I place them on the cutter head. Maybe I'm missing something, but I fooled around with them and found that while they get the blades in the ballpark, I still need to recheck with a dial indicator. But then again I'm fussy about anything that needs to be at right angles or flat, or even.
dave
Bob S. wrote:

Just got back from Woodcraft, where I learned the 734 has the same cutting system as the 735, but lacks the dual speed feed (which the magazine review on display says isn't needed anyways as the regular speed yields great results). Also missing is the little fan that helps control dust/chips. Might you consider saving $100 with the 734? I do agree the 733 blades would likely irritate me at some point!
Cheers,
Scott