Did I hurt my new saw?

Hello:
I just got a General 50-185 contractor's saw. I have been having a heck of a time putting it together. I had a lot of vibration, so I called up my local Woodcraft to see if they carried a link belt. They said they did. I told the guy that the pulley was 3/8" not 1/2". He said that the belt would work just fine. He even asked what kind of saw I had, "Yup, this is the belt for that saw."
I drove over got the belt, put it on and began revolving the assembly by hand slowly. When I did, the belt popped off and the motor dropped- SLAM! hard into the saw. I did not think to hold the motor up. The most stupid part is that I tried it again and the same exact thing happened- SLAM! All the weight of the motor. This was NOT the belt for my saw.
My question is- could I have damaged my new saw by dropping the motor? If it is possible what would be damaged and how could I test it to find out? This is my first saw, so I am not all that educated.
Thanks!
Bob

Spin the shaft by hand. Spin easily? If so, plug it in and power it up. If not, you could have done some damage.
Which shaft to spin?

The one on the motor. The one on the saw won't be affected at all. Most likely you are OK as motors are pretty tough.
On 24 Mar 2005 14:42:32 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Push the boat out - try spinning both of them. I guess you're planning on using both ?

snip
snip
snip
Bob, I think link belts are way overrated in here. (Spare me the flames) The belt vibration is a result of the belt not being used. In, addition, OEM belts are generally stiff anyway. If you use the saw with any regularity it will smooth out and last a long time. However, long periods of in-activity will bring on the vibration again until use/heat smoothes it out again.
I doubt you have done any damage to your saw. As its a new saw, you will have to go through the tune-up process anyway. Any problems will arise when you attempt to correct the factory settings.
Dave

I have to agree here. I had the same belt on my cheap import for about 15+ years. No problems.
Now I have this 3 belt, 3 HP cabinet saw.
Hope the belts are as good. It sure runs smooth!
Griz 1023SL.
Lou

it
My saw DOES experience long periods of inactivity. Do you suppose a link belt might be a good alternative in my case?
- Owen -
Owen Lawrence wrote:

First, do you have any indication that the existing belt is a problem? If a belt isn't brand new, it only takes a few minutes or so at most for it to warm up and flex again...I'm w/ those who think link belts are, for the most part, a gimmick. If the equipment, motor and pulleys are balanced and in line, it's unlikely the belt is an issue unless it's a really cheap pos or worn out (which takes a <long> time w/ a quality belt in a home shop if properly tensioned--the belts on my PM 66 are still the originals and it's about 20 years old now--gets a fair amount of usage but certainly not all day, every day...
The Rockwell 14" BS I inherited from a neighbor shuddered as it was winding down after switching to OFF. Link belt corrected the "problem".
On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 08:56:31 -0600, Duane Bozarth

Your message reminded of the definition of insanity which goes something like "Repeating an identical action with the expectation of attaining different results". I'm often reminded of that definition as I'm guilty of doing it myself (often).
If the motor shaft spins freely with no "bad" sounds, and there is no visible damage, it is more than likely unharmed. Those motor housings are pretty tough and a short fall like that isn't likely to do any damage.
Bejay

Actually, I don't think my insanity came into play here- just my stupidity. There is a fine line though and sometimes its hard for me to tell which is at play.
What I am concerned with being damaged is the two long bars that connect to the trunnion- the motor is connected to those via a hinge like thingy. What would be symptoms that they were dammaged?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The symptom would be "bent." If "the hinge thingy" swings up and down freely, it is likely ok. All the two bars do is move in and out of the trunnion to adjust the belt tension. If they aren't bent and can be moved, they are ok. If the pulley continues to be aligned ok, then there is no problem.
Thanks everyone, I tend to be a little obsessive.
Your saw requires a 3/8" belt. Grizzly carries them.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, definitely. Dropping the motor changed the specific gravity of the consituant elements, and the entire saw is now, most likely, radioactive. It's a ticking time bomb that could blow at any second. I suggest you deliver the saw to my doorstep so I can take care of this problem for you. I will dispose of the saw in a safe manner.