General Int. 50-185 LM1 Table Saw

Oops, I clicked the wrong button before I was finished with my review of my new saw and sent it out incomplete.

Anyway...The Biesemeyer clone fence works perfectly. It was pretty easy to set up and it clamps down parallel every time. Every cut is exactly where the tape measure on the fence rail says it is. I've never had a saw that I could trust like this before. The only thing I don't like about the fence is that it appears that the only way I can change the face of the fence is to rip it off. I would like to be able to add a taller fence sometimes but I can't get to the screw heads. They laminated over the screw heads after the plywood was screwed onto the rectangular tubing. I guess I could just clamp on another fence but then the clamps will sort of be in the way. Any ideas on how to get around that? I'm planning/building a full width cabinet and router table top for the saw right now. I've noticed that most of the router tables attached to table saws that I've seen have you operating the router from the end of the tablesaw with your body perpendicular to the saw blade. My set up will have me standing on the same side as I would to operate the saw and the saw table will act as an outfeed table for the router table. I have a very beefy router fence with the base made from 3"x3"x1/4" steel angle that I had machined straight and square so that it's as close as my feeler gauge can measure. Attached to that are some sliding MDF auxiliary fences. The table is 1 3/8" thick and has 4 miter t-slot tracks, two in each direction on either side of the router insert. The fence slides in the miter tracks using some machined hex blocks that fit into the tracks. Since both pairs of tracks are the same distance apart I can run the fence either parallel to the length of the table or perpendicular to it. Well, that's the plan anyway. I haven't installed the table yet since I'm just starting to build the cabinet but the table looks good on my bench, anyway. ;~} Well, that's my review about the bad and good of my new GI saw. Sure beats the hell out of my 40+ year old Craftsman from my dad that I was using.

Bruce Redding, Ca.

Reply to
Bruce

Bruce, You can get the extension flat by tightening the center screw first. then either side. then use a "c" clamp to pull in the extension for the third screw. Or, just snug each up and use a wooden mallot to tap into alignment.

Reply to
klaatu