Designing

Page 3 of 5
Lobby Dosser wrote:

I know what you mean, but you don't appear open to the notion that complexity can have more than 1 form. Let's go back to chopping wood..I hate bickering.
Bill
On 1/15/2011 6:31 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

True; these days a half a million lines of code isn't a lot. I used to work on OS/2, and though most of it was written in C, a fair amount of the underlying low-level system was implemented in assembler. I really don't have any idea what the line count would have been, but I'd guess 500K wouldn't be too far off the mark. That was a LOT of assembler code. :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

I'd heard, from the developers, OS/2 was more like 2M LOC.
On 1/16/2011 11:35 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

For just the assembler? That could be; I've never seen the actual line counts. I could probably go off and perform the counts myself if I didn't have better things to do; I still have access to the source. :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

That's what they told us on the IBMPC FORUM, back in the "weak in the knees" days.

The only thing I hated more than assembler was COBOL. Thankfully the only thing I ever had to do with COBOL was grade a student project.
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum
Lobby Dosser wrote:

"Unit testing" is something like that. I've never seen the work "chunk" used in a software engineering context. BTDTBTTS...
How will you know it

So?
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

Oh, yeah. Did that one a couple times!
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum
On 01/11/2011 01:36 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

...or paralysis through analysis.
"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

--------------------------------------- The octopus is in the room, it's bag pipe time.
Lew
Bill wrote:

I still use the one I bought in 1943. Different handle, though, made it a couple of decades ago when the original broke.
Bought the hammer, a saw, jack plane, brace and a few auger bits for $10.00 at Montgomery Wards. I still use the brace too :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

The one I have using I inherited from my grandfather, who was born at close to the turn of the century. So, as you might imagine, I have been reluctant to give up on it for sentimental reasons. It's handle shows lots of different paint splatters on it..a lot of projects.

I picked up a bunch of rusted auger bits and a brace in my youth off of the side of the road (on refuse night). Placing more of a premium on space now, I had to abandon them earlier this year. I wish I would have known of your interest as I would have happily shipped them to you (though, to my untrained eye, they did not look like collector's pieces).
My True Value opens in 15 minutes. I hope to pick up the rest of the materials for my "project". Then I can play the "chess game" in the garage, and see if I can make a little room for myself... : ) Good day!
Bill

Uh, oh. When doing software it is always best to define the Problem before doing anything else. Quite often there is no problem or an existing 'solution' can be used.
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum
On 1/11/11 8:32 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Point taken, bad choice of words, should have been "see the solution or result, find the best way to get there", or something along those lines.
--
Froz...

?

Hey, don't talk about my father-in-law like that! He'd spend an hour making a tool or fixture to save 30 seconds on a five minute job. It is more the challenge of "I can do that" rather than any real time savings. The difference between a hobby and a profit making business.
I often do a sketch or simple drawing of a project. Most times, I'll do it while sitting in front of the TV when it is too cold to work out in the shop. It also gives me an opportunity to think of different ways of accomplishing a particular task, make a material list, etc. It may be boring for the more experienced guys, but it helps me to have a plan. .
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I think, for me, it's not just the "challenge" of whether I can do that, but the intent that it will be part of my education. It's a philosophy you could build a lifestyle around: "When the next challenge comes around I'll be all that much ready for it." In my case, I may be building mobile bases for a TS and/or other tools someday.... It seems quite consistent with how I learned to play some musical instruments. I never started off trying to play hard stuff--just the opposite. If all I was after was a cheap, efficient, and by most measures excellent solution, I could just play CDs! : ) I'm not a purist, by any means, but I get by the best I know how to. One of the things I really enjoy is life, is that the latter is a dynamic (i.e. continually evolving) state. Have fun!
Bill

Good ethos, Bill. Kudos.
-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand
Larry Jaques wrote:

Thanks Larry. Everyone gets the choice to believe in something--why cheat oneself (rhetorical, and not hardly directed at you)?

FrozenNorth wrote:

Driving home with my building materials, I thought a little more about your comment. I suppose I compensate for my shortcomings in knowledge, by doing the best job I can even if that means I may go a little bit overboard on some details. With experience, I'm sure I'll learn to optimize that with regard to time, utility, and money. In the meantime, the cost of my going a little bit overboard is part of the price of tuition. I need the practice! I'd might try out my router on this project but I think Mike would give me a bad time about it! lol. Stay warm!
Bill