Delta 15" Planer

Model: 22-790X - Assembling planer onto the mobile base

The installation instructions don't state whether the mobile base is to be attached/secured to the planer unit, with screws or other means, OR if the planer unit simply sits within the frame of the mobile base. There are no extra screws for attaching the unit to the mobile base.

The unit is heavy, so it may not need to be secured to the base, but I would like to know for sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. Sonny - finally getting around to this installation.

Reply to
Sonny

I don't know what's supposed to happen according to spec, but I just set mine on my generic mobile base and let gravity work. Seems a shame to waste a perfectly good rolling workstation on a dedicated tool that doesn't get used very often, like a miter say or drill, you know?

If you want, use some bolts and wing-nuts for temporary tie-down, the stow away the planer on am out-of-the-way shelf until needed.

Reply to
-MIKE-

My 15" Delta sets in the mobile base. NONE of my mobile bases are attached to the units that they carry except for the Laguna BS.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks Mike & Leon. It was rational to just sit it in place, which I did, as no holes lined up for bolting it down. Metal on metal didn't agree with me, either, so I added cuttings (between the two) from a rubber mat, which might make it less noisy, if there would have been any vibration between the two. The matting should help muffle any vibration.

I should have started drinking earlier, as I'm sure I would have realized how to assemble it, if I would have, but the LSU game hadn't started yet.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

There should be no vibration so to speak, noise from the exhaust port will be considerable and especially when you turn on the dust collector. The noise seems to bre greater than the sum of the two units.

Reply to
Leon

Not familiar with the Delta mobile base but my 480 pound cabinet saw, Jet 18" band saw , and my jointer simply set in their bases. They are all heavy enough to stay stable. However, I have had to rock the table saw up in its base a couple of times over the year and clean packed sawdust from between the bottom of the saw and the mobile base. It starts feeling "squishey" now and then and needs a little cleaning. I don't know how the dust gets under there because it is heavy.

I recently bought a Grizzly G0453 15" planer, and that self contained base is great. It does sit back down a little heavily but I'm catching on with technique.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Now there you go!

Keep tellin' my wife that I do my best thinking with a few beers.

She is way to smart for that story>

RonB

Reply to
RonB

My dust collection noise-makers are outside, so that helps. So, I suppose there will be no more vibration than with the 8" jointer. That's good to hear, also.

I haven't fired-up the planer, yet, as I'm still assembling it. Some of the China-made bolts and nuts have stripped and I'll have to find some replacements, re-tap and/or -die, then finish assembly. The self tapping screws, for the dust port attachment, have stripped, also. Beyond that, I'm not impressed with the infeed-outfeed table adjusting/ leveling, either. Some kind of fine-tuning adjuster, similar to a turn buckle mechanism, should be on this size machine. I can make do, though.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

My dust collection noise-makers are outside, so that helps. So, I suppose there will be no more vibration than with the 8" jointer. That's good to hear, also.

No IIRC the noise with the DC attached and running seems to pull the sound out of the planer. The noise is at the planer, oddly enough. You'll see. ;~)

I haven't fired-up the planer, yet, as I'm still assembling it. Some of the China-made bolts and nuts have stripped and I'll have to find some replacements, re-tap and/or -die, then finish assembly. The self tapping screws, for the dust port attachment, have stripped, also. Beyond that, I'm not impressed with the infeed-outfeed table adjusting/ leveling, either. Some kind of fine-tuning adjuster, similar to a turn buckle mechanism, should be on this size machine. I can make do, though.

The planer is large enough that you don't really need the in feed and out feed extensions. That said I too have those roller extensions, agree that adjustment sucks, BUT as I said you really do not need them. Just get close and use them to help support the wood as it goes in and out. I have never regretted not adjusting them to perfection. I always try to run a whole board through my planer, the boards that have splits on the ends. I always cut the boards to length AFTER going through the planer therefore if there is any snipe it gets cut off.

Reply to
Leon

It will not go anywhere when placed in the mobile base...

Mine has been sitting in the base for 8 years and it ain't moved.

Reply to
Pat Barber