Delta planer problem

Hi, I have a Delta 12 1/2 in planer. I accidentally fed a strip of wood of 1/8 in thick through the planer and didn't realize that the thinest limit is

3/16. It planed ok but after that it won't start anymore. Did I just burn the motor by doing that? Is there a fuse or something to protect overloading? Anyone ran into the same problem?
Reply to
TP

Have you lowered the tables? Perhaps the head is jammed against something solid?

Does it try and stall or is there simply no power to the motor?

Sounds coincidental to me...if it was running fine when you finished and turned it off, I'm thinking more than likely you've had a switch failure or some such. Don't have one so don't know what was done about overload protection. I assume that would be in the operations manual if you can read the Chinese... :) There's always Delta's 800 number if no more direct help here.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Doesn't it have a universal motor? Those things aren't famous for reliability. Does it have a thermal overload switch? If there is one, push it and try again. Can you turn the motor shaft by hand (disconnect it first)? If you can't, the motor must be repaired or replaced. Don't apply power to the unit if you can't turn the motor shaft by hand. If you do this, you are merely finishing the job of destroying the motor. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Jim wrote: ...

I suspect, based on the post, if it won't it already has been done... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try to look into the motor and switch area this weekend. Last time I looked at the cutting head and could turn it with the provided wrench.

Reply to
TP
1/8 in thick through the planer and didn't realize that the thinest limit is 3/16. It planed ok but after that it won't start anymore. Did I just burn the motor by doing that? Is there a fuse or something to protect overloading? Anyone ran into the same problem?
Reply to
Rob Mills

Reply to
fredfighter