Deals at woodworking shows

Page 2 of 2

Rarely. At this year's one in Denver - the DeWalt plate joiner was $99. A good deal, IMHO. But I also wanted a WWII (show price $95, same as Internet price), a band clamp (was $2 cheaper at BORG), etc.
You have to factor in tax, then factor out shipping. I decided to go on Friday, do some research on Saturday and then return Sunday to buy.
At the Kansas City Woodworking Show (actually in nearby Overland Park, KS) customer reps from most major tool companies are on present at the vendors' tables and there are some excellent deals.
HOWEVER, the largest local tool sales company pulled out of the show last year due to costs involved AND the fact that the show is always so crowded that a visitor cannot even itch a spot that needs a good scratch;-)
The good news in this case is that the local vendor that pulled out put on their own show which was FREE, provided food and drinks, had dealer reps on hand for all major brands since they carried all major brands (none of the "it slices and dices" crap). Their prices were excellent -- easily matching the best on the Internet and in some cases, besting the best prices on the Internet. For example, among the toys that I picked up that I felt were bargains was a Delta 50-850 dust collector for $260.
I suspect that this scenario of a large local tool vendor bailing out of the traveling show and having their own that is as good or better than the traveling tool show is probably not unique to my region and if you check with the largest commercial tool vendors in your area if you are near a large city, that you might find them also having their own show which might save you money. You also might find that such large tool vendors may have a winter and a summer show as does my favorite tool vendor.

Overland Park Tools???????????
James... Shawnee
James--affirmative (good people there and good support)

Mini Max has the MM16 priced at 1795 right vs normal price of 1895. At the show near Chicago, IIRC the price was also 100 off the regular price. I seriously doubt you can get a new mm16 for less than that unless you buy a show model but those machines are spoken for in advance of the show. I just got mine I plan to get the thing all wired up and going for some test runs on saturday.
Leo