Darkening Cherry

I man working on a picture frame project. The basic frame is good old red oak. I have inlayed four small pieces of cherry near the corners. When I selected it from the scrap pile, it had the rich dark cherry color that I was looking for.
Unfortunately, I had to do some sanding which took the cherry back to the light color of freshly sanded wood.
I would like to get the darker color back before I finish the project. No, I will not stain it. I know that it will eventually darken naturally as it ages, but the frame will be used in a room with very little natural light.
Right now, the frame is sitting in a place where it will get natural sunlight. I am willing to wait. About how long should it take for the unfinished cherry to get back the darker tone? What will exposure to the sun do to the unfinished oak? I really don't want to bleach it out.
TIA.
____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
Bill Waller wrote:

Can't tell you about the red oak, but I recently made moldings to match cherry laminate floor. It took about 4 days out in the sun (not through a window). I wasn't sure it had darkened enough but the first bit of oil on the wood showed it to be a perfect match. Might have needed only 3 days. You can test every day as one person suggested using paint thinner instead of oil.
Bill Waller wrote:

red oak.

selected it

looking for.