Curious Ridgid Power Tool Warranty

Page 2 of 3

Upscale wrote:

Google "data recovery" and you'll find several services that offer recovery in that range.

You don't have a clue how insurance works, do you?

Like I said, there are several with pricing in that range.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

YOUR very words just a few hours ago. And now you're incapable or not willing to provide the name of the company? You're about as full of crap as anyone I've seen Clarke. Until you're able to provide the name and phone number of the company you said you called I won't hesitate to call you a liar.
You're a joke Clarke as well as being a liar. Grow some balls and admit you lied or give the name of the specific company that does the recovery services for $1500. You'd be doing everyone who needed recovery services a favour and shut me down at the same time. So, what's stopping you besides the fact that you got caught lying?
Call me whatever you want Clarke, but I don't lie and I don't cheat. Can't say that can you?
Upscale wrote:

I really don't want to repeat the search. If it was hard to find it would be one thing.

Sticks and stones.

Methinks thou does't protest too much.
And since you've chosen to launch personal attacks it's clear that you are a loon.
G'day.
<plonk>
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
I can't argue with anyone's personal experience working for a computer manufacturer, but some of the previous posts just don't seem right to me. I'm writing this right now on a Compaq laptop, running linux, with a Hitachi hard drive that I installed myself. I've installed different make drives in Thinkpads and Gateway laptops as well and never had any trouble, beyond cloning or otherwise installing an OS, in getting them to work. And what's this about an internal drive? I mean, they ARE removable and replaceable. And as I said, in my experience it is easier to replace the ("internal") hard drive in a laptop than in a desktop or tower system. Every one I've seen is very easily accessible.
Oh, and by the way, I am sitting at a WOODEN desk.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Ultimately the $500 warranty got me $385 in additional discounts and and 3 years of antivirus protection which I would buy anyway, The real cost of the warranty was $115 after comparing the exact same purchase with out adding the 4 year extended warranty.

The HD has 2 exposed external screws to remove and the drive slides right out. A 2 minute swap out. The big advantage of the $500 extended watrranty was the BIG additional discounts and rebated it qualified my order for. Ultimately the extended warranty cost about $115 over no extended warranty and I doubt you can buy any laptop 80 gig HD for that price delivered to your door step next day.
Leon wrote:

Not meaning to be nitpicky but the Newegg price for an 80 gig Hitachi Fedexed overnight is $103.02. Where I live UPS ground is usually overnight from them so my price would be under $90.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Would that HD $103 HD warrant and cover the entire computer against defects including owner fault breakage for another 3 years and 8 months? I am still covered and discounting the $103 HD from the ultimate $115 for the 4 year extended contract the remainder of the warranty has cost me $12.
Leon wrote:

Now, let's see if you use it again.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Already have as far as the upgraded customer support is concerned.

BTY take a look again at NewEgg. The 80 gig HD I upgraded to over the 40 gig spins at 7200.

The $500 bought the better extended warranty plus it included a $200 rebate, and 20% discount on the whole order. In addition it bumped the initial purchase price of just the computer up to $2300 before any discounts which qualified my purchase for an additional $200 discount for going past $2000 on the order. Basically getting the big extended warranty got me a package deal that I was going to spend extra money on any way. We got an 80 gig HD over the 40 gig standard, DVD burner over the CD, wide screen display, 512 mem over 256, Blue Tooth and the better of the 3 offered wirelesses options offered, 3 year virus protection, an Argus back pack that holds a ton of books if wanted and the computer, an extra 50% larger lithium ion battery. XP pro, P4 processor, Centreno Technology, 4 years next business day repairs and accidental breakage and all delivered free.
While that still may sound expensive we were able to get the computer and all the extras delivered including tax for $1595. With out the extended 4 year contract that initially added $500, the computer would have been about $1480 with the school discount. Pricing Compaq, HP, Fujitsu, Toshiba and Sony, the closest competitor was HP at $1550 with a shorter extended contract with less coverage, smaller HD, less memory, regular screen, and no back pack. I was going for the HP with less features and with a 3rd party warranty for 3 years with out accidental breakage until I found out about the school link to Dell.
I used every scenario to try to get the price lower with out the 4 year extended warranty, but when it qualified me for more discounts which got me better features and ultimately only cost about $115 more it became a no brainer. I went through the regular links to buy the computer from Dell and the cost was $400 more for the exact same order. Going through the school the total discount was $800, $400 more than not going through the school link.
No, data recovery was included however he backs up to a flash drive and had it all there to begin with. Reinstalling the OS and software took about 3 hours whether he did it or the technician did it. Dell walked him through it.
<...snipped...>

<...snippped...>
Leon, in the situation you described, you evaluated the pros & cons and made a reasonable decision. I probably would have done the same. I have purchased an extended warranty a few times but only after evaluating it as you did. Most of the extended warranties I have been offered with appliance, electronics, and to keep somewhat on topic, even woodworking tools, have not been worh buying IMHO. That was the only point I was trying to make in my original reply to your original post.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Agreed, and as my first response, that a fool is born every few minutes, if you take your tool to the cashier and the cashier sells you the contract with out you seeing all the details it could be a foolish decision. You absolutely should read all the details and not take a salesman word on the details.
"Leon" wrote in message

IMO, that was a smart move. I did the same thing for my youngster's Dell when going off to college, including the insurance for dorm room disasters. After two and half years, so far so good.
Like most policies of any type, if you have it, you won't need it, and vice versa.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Mac
On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 07:44:08 -0700, mac davis

If it's like the electronics industry, not only is it just the life of the tool, it's only for the supported lifecycle of the tool.

To clarify what the Ridgid warranty people told me, make copies of your receipt as the receipt is often printed on thermal heat print paper and the receipt has to be used to prove when the tool was purchased to define which warranty you have. She said that the original thermal heat print receipt will not last as long as the life time warranty. She said as long as I owned the tool with the lifetime warranty and have a receipt to prove when it was purchased that it would be repaired at no charge.

Here's a tip that could be useful at Home Depot, since they sell Rigid equipment . . .
A year or two ago, I bought a universal mitre saw stand from Home Depot that had been their display model. I was doing this through the contractor counter, and as I'm paying for it the guy I'm dealing with tells me, "If you have any problems, just bring it back." He then hands me a receipt that's printed on an 8x1/2" x 10" sheet of paper with a laser printer. I must have looked at this reciept a bit quizically because he then told me, "Hey, anytime you need to buy something expensive and want to get a receipt that won't fade on you, bring it to the contractor counter and we'll ring it up here."
So, that might be worth doing if you don't have ready access to a copier or scanner for the regular thermal printed recepts from Home Depot. I've done this several times at my local store, I have no idea though if this is a policy that's honored at all the stores.
They might do like AMD does. Anytime I get a clients (or one of my own) system with a bad CPU less than 3 years old they replace it with the slowest of the current processors. At times it is enough of a change to require a new MB, but it in one case has resulted in a system that gets upgradded every 2 and a half years at a very low cost.
My sister in law's late husband bought her a Dell witht he warranty just before he passed away. She took a lightning strike and they replaced everything in the box. Even sent out a tech to do it for her. (Saved her having to haul the system 300+ miles down to me).
Sometimes companies really do honor warranties.
I'd sure like to find the outfit that does data recovery for 1500.00. Last drive I had recovered cost me 3200.00.
I have yet to see a waranty that was voided by upgrading a drive or adding an expansion card. I do it all the time and the day I kill a waranty will be the day I stop, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.