craftsman table saw decent?

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I'm looking to get a table saw for introductory woodworking usage. We are going to be doing some trim work and wood flooring where a table saw might be slighly useful, but more importantly I'd like to start doing some introductory projects with woodworking to gain some skill and see where it takes me.
Here's the kicker, I've got about $200 to spend right now. But, I also have $200 in mall gift certificates, and where there's a mall, there's a sears. I was looking around and saw a craftsman 10" stationary table saw on sale for $399 (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid922839000). This looks to be a good notch above the el cheapo benchtop models that would normally be in my budget and would only run me $200 with the gift certificates. It uses a belt driven induction drive motor at 1.5 HP with a decent sized cast iron table, all of which I've read are desireable things.
Now, granted, for slightly more money I could probably get a more respected saw, but given that I get $200 off thanks to gift cards, would this be a good investment for a first table saw at a net cost of $200 to me?
Check around Sears (catalog & store), you may do better. My saw is a Craftsman that delivers 2.7 hp. I got it for less than $200 (if I remember correctly). Good luck and Happy New Year. Joe
Be sure to check-out our webpages... http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/kb8qlrjoe/index.html

pid922839000).

Maybe 2.7hp developed. That is about 1hp in normal terms.

I say go for it. Can you get better saws? Of course, but they would be in the $700 and up range. You will buy this saw and one of two things will happen.
1. You find that woodworking is not your idea of a fun time. You keep the saw for the occasional birdhouse your wife wants or to trim a board for a closet shelf. For $200, it works well.
2. You love woodworking. With this saw you learn all the basics. You learn what is important to you so you can buy the next saw that will last the rest of your life. It will have the fence yu dream about, the solid table, the smooth sound of power when you hit the switch on the 5 hp motor.
Either way, you can sell the saw and get most, if not all of your $200 back or three years from now you pass it on to someone when the new Binford 5000 GT Megasaw arrives.
My first saw was even cheaper, but I learned a lot and made some good looking projects on it. I do not regret having owned it. Good luck wth your new hobby. Please report back with the results of your first project. Ed

I swear I must be the only one who noticed this, but nearly all of the tools used on that show were model 6100. There were only two or three exceptions that I noticed and I think I saw all of the shows.
I figured it must have been an inside joke.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.hiarchive.co.uk/binford_tools.php

Cool site.

I was partially correct. There are 19 different model numbers that were used. Of the 18 other than 6100, most were only assigned once, with the net result of about 24 or so tools with model numbers other than 6100. There were 38 tools with the model number 6100.
Thanks for the link.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
I'm right in the middle of putting that very saw together thanks to my lovely bride responding to two years of less and less subtle hints. I'll be using it this weekend and will let you know what I think.
It was a tool time Xmas this year. Not only was there a table saw under the tree (well, actually wrapped up on the garage floor) but also a stocking full of cool gadgets (magnetic pick-up, flexible drill shaft thingie, etc) but also a big fat gift card from the father in law to Home Depot so I have him to thank for my brand new three base Ryobi router kit. Don't know if this means the wife wants me out of the house and in the garage or what . . .
wrote in message

Ed/Chad -
Every EXPERIENCED woodworker knows that the Binford 5000 GT Megasaw isn't as NEARLY as GOOD as the Binford 6000 GT-Z Ultra Megasaw.... Like MINE!
Ed is right tho' use the craftsman safely until you learn your way around, and then move up to a better saw. A good blade (Forrest WWII) would also go a long way... Until YOU can step UP to the ULTIMATE QUALITY of BINFORD!
Either way enjoy yourself, learn and work safely...
Cheers,
John "Proud Binford Owner" Moorhead Lakeport, CA
PS: I ordered MY BINFORD with snarklesnipe trangfallers for truer cuts and MORE POWER..... Think about it!
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:28:30 GMT, "john moorhead"

As I pointed out in the other post, almost all Binford tools are model 6100. There were only a handful of exceptions.

Dual dipsticks and high speed hubcaps; de rigeur for any high power tool.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Speaking of Binford tools, I read this morning where "Wilson" died! Now who will counsel Tim?
-- In golf, it's not the score that counts--it's the company!

Ohmigosh! I somehow missed that in the paper; had to look it up on the net to verify (sorry).
I was surprised to learn he had been a long time soap opera player.
I knew of him from one of my favorite movies, Silverado, which was where I always sent Tool Time fans who needed to know what he looked like.
How am I ever going to be inspired to go to any festival honoring the Punic Wars, now?
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Anybody else notice the scene in "Gone In 60 Seconds" in Robert Duvall's shop with the Binford sign on the wall behind them?
I'll post it on abpw in case anyone is interested.
Lionel .............. Take the dog out before sending email.
wrote in message

http://www.binfordtools.com/pages/index.html
LOVED the Product page.     j4
Bridger wrote:

Thanks for the info :)
I stopped by sears to take a look at it and it looks like a fairly solid saw. The fence and guage don't wobble and it seems generally well put together. The problem I've found, however, is that this thing is pretty big. I could probably clear enough room to put it in the back of the garage and maybe fit a car in, however that would mean lugging a 215 lb saw out to use it, which isn't quite easy.
I'm debating instead getting a crappy bench top saw... Until we move in 3-5 years and get a deeper garage, it would certainly be more convenient, and would also give me time to keep my eyes out for a great garage sale deal on a quality used saw. I have a nice 12" miter saw which will crosscut most of what I need without problems, so I primarily just need something to rip. Granted a cheapy benchtop saw isn't the best for that, but I'm thinking it'll get close enough to finish and straigten it up with a plane.
Then again I'm having a hard time passing up a halfway decent saw for $300 off.
Decisions decisions.

In rec.woodworking snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Chad Cunningham) wrote:

If you get the one I suggested, it comes with the roller base.

Don't do it. You won't be happy with it.

Nope, probably not :) But it would serve as a throwaway introduction.
Of course I'm thinking I'm not in a hurry and there is quite a bit i can do for now to practice with some hand tools and circular saw. I'm thinking I'll just take my time and keep an eye on yard sales and classifieds. Only problem is knowing what is decent. This thing is not far from me:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item#69178729&category 789
But lord knows what it actually is.

You should go look at it if your close, It don't look like a bad saw,
Its the full 27" depth table too. tony D.

Why would you want a car in your shop? Automobiles are waterproof; leave it outside where it belongs.