Corner cabinets without lazy susan.

Page 1 of 2
Wasted space in corners has always been an issue. Lazy susans don't use all the space either and they tend to get overloaded and stuff falls off, hard to clean etc, etc. And the really good ones are expensive. Twice I have had the pleasure to install a countertop for a new cabinet maker/client who does it this way:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/Cornercab.jpg
In one case he used full extension slides and the drawers were just huge. This particular guy uses face frames. I'll take a picture next time I get to do a job for him. In the meantime, I hope this may help someone else's lay-out problem.
Robatoy wrote:

Too much wasted space there, big triangle behind the drawers and in the corners of the other two cabinets that is unaccessible. At least with a lazy susan you can set something in the wasted space.

Draw a circle where the lazy susan would go and let's see you get to the 'spaces' through an 18" opening.

Well, I think this is a great solution if you can waste the angled floor space. However, sometimes Robatoy's solution doesn't work. Our kitchen is rather small, and the counter is at right angles to the stove. There is only 2 1/4" between the drawerfront under the counter and the right edge of the oven door. Under that drawer is a lazy susan with 2 levels to maximize the space in the corner. Above the counter, the cabinet has a door that hinges, so it opens above the counter at both angles.
House was built in 1928-9 and the kitchen hasn't been changed in layout much since then. Radburn community in Fair Lawn, NJ, a historic landmark <http://radburn.org
--
Best regards
Han
Robatoy wrote:

That is exactly how I built my lazy susan now. Big things like bottles of vegetable oil go in the corners.
"Robatoy" wrote:

The only way to gain total access to corner space is to use top entry lift out bins such as you find on any decent yacht.
Requires some specialized bins which probably make it cost prohibitive on a production type home.
Lew

That little bit of space on both sides of the drawer unit is a 'must- have'. Those corners are never right. Drywallers leave this nice 'thickness' to the inside corner. BTW, those drawers are 32" deep. Just huge. And with a solid set of full extension Accurides, will hold 200 pounds each. The angled sections to the right and left hold all the Tupperware.
"Robatoy" wrote:
That little bit of space on both sides of the drawer unit is a 'must- have'. Those corners are never right. Drywallers leave this nice 'thickness' to the inside corner.
Why do you think the operative phrase from my previous post was: ++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++
BTW, would have to send a ferret to get things from the back of a 32" deep drawer.
My arms aren't long enough<G>.
Lew

Full extension slides, Lew.
"Robatoy" wrote:
Full extension slides, Lew.
It's still 32", front to back.
It's a ferret or an arm extension and I'm not quite ready for a motorized scooter, so I can't get a free arm extension as my consolation prize for testing one.<G>
Lew

You are supposed to stand BESIDE the drawer, Lew....LOL

Robotoy wrote:

Now that requires an executive decision, Left or Right side.
Much to complex a skill set.
Next thing you know, you're going to expect me to know why I opened the drawer in the first place<G>.
Lew

You do what I do... walk backwards to where you came from when you first had an inkling what you thought you were going to find in that drawer. Nothing complicuted about that. [sic]

first had an inkling what you thought you were going to find in that drawer. Nothing complicuted about that. [sic]
How'd you know that?
Lew

I find myself walking in a store and not having a clue that I even left my house
"Robatoy" wrote:

Same solution shown on a recent episode of NYW.
As that old saying goes, ".. the more thing chsnge, the more they stay the same."
BTW, Mikey likes it<G>.
Lew
I like those drawer units with the progressively larger drawers. and put in a corner like that is an excellent idea.
--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.

Robatoy wrote:

Some ideas at http://www.kitchen-cabinets-tips.com/designs.html
and http://www.fdmonline.com/ViewArticle.aspx?id 062
Diamond Cabinetry at http://www.diamond2.com/storage/storage_display.cfm?sec se_cabinets&did0 and http://www.diamond2.com/storage/storage_display.cfm?sec=corner_cabinets&did
has a photo of a corner cabinet that looks like something my brother has in his house. Basically it is a base cabinet with a swing-out that drags a couple of drawers behind it. He doesn't know the manufacturer of his cabinets since they were in place when he bought the place.
    mahalo,     jo4hn
Ban socialized armies!

You know where Canadians keep their armies? . . . . . . . . . . . ...up their sleevies.