Cordless Drill - My PC went - suggestions?

Page 1 of 2
I was installing some cabinets in my garage this weekend and my 14.4 volt PC drill/driver went. It had been sounding a little off and I got a whiff of something burning. Next thing I know, it stops working altogether (shaft won't turn and torque control just shuts it off).
Anyway, it 1.5 years old and when you pay for a premium product, it should last, longer than that anyway. I'm going to give PC a call and see if I can get anything out of them.
Turning my attention to the future, I still need a good drill/driver. What are your suggestions. I'm looking for something that will last and has good power. I'm not a pro but am a heavy hobbyist.
I check Consumer Reports and they rank Panasonic as #1 and DeWalt as #2.
Thanks in advance,
Chuck

I have both a Panasonic and DeWalt. For certain the Panasonics have better batteries and are much more refined than the DeWalts. If price is not a factor I would go with the Panasonic.
I'll add also that I do not recall hearing of anyone ever complaining about Panasonic drills. There are plenty of complaints with DeWalt cordless drills, specifically concerning the chucks. I personally have not had a problem with either brand drill.
Hi, I love my Bosch 14.4 Pistol grip.
Tony
www.votepair.org

better
about
I have a Dewalt 14.4, little upset at the charger eating one of my batteries, haven't sprung for the replacement yet $60 keep thinking I like the Bosch, they clam it can be dropped from 2 stories up on concrete and not break
tony1158 wrote:

What happens when you drop it from eye level?

Thanks Leon. I have several DeWalt tools and they are all top notch, but none of them are cordless. Consumer Reports does a nice job of rating items, but I wasn't sure if they would give the drill a proper woodworkers test.
I almost pulled the trigger on a Milwaukee over the lunch hour, but wanted to do some research first. It had reversible batteries so you could re-position for tight corners; a belt clip and a 5 year warranty.
My first thought was definitely a DeWalt, but I'll have to check out a Panasonic. Thanks for your input, I always like to hear from first hand users.
I'm really dissapointed in the PC though.
Chuck

If you are considering the Milwaukee also, I choose it over the DeWalt. FWIW my partner bought a PC cordless about 5 years ago. It lasted 1 year and the drill broke. He went back to Craftsman. Normally I would frown on going backwards in quality but he does misplace and loose tools.
WoodChuck34 wrote:

I was down at the borg last night and picked up a copy of Taunton's Tool Review (the folks who publish Fine Woodworking). They rated the Milwaukee 18V hammer drill best overall last year and didn't pick another over it this year. I knew I had read it somewhere before I made my purchase; just couldn't remember where. Fine Woodworking.
After drilling through some cast iron with mine it's made me a believer. A fine tool and one I enjoy using.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
My wife just bought me a craftsman cordless. I know alot of people here dont like craftsman, but she got the drill (16.8 volt) two batteries, a 1 hr charger and a three year warranty for 90 bucks canadian.

Mo,
I neglected to mention in my first post that my other cordless is a 14.4 v Craftsman that has to be at least 5 years old. Put it through all the same paces as the PC and its still kicking. Came with a flashlight too.
The batteries are going though and push the cost of a new drill to replace.
Dare I say I should give Crapsman the nod over PC?
Chuck
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (WoodChuck34) wrote in message

I've had a PC 14.4 for about 5 years. Just had the batteries rebuilt--two packs of higher capacity batteries for less than $100. Couple of years after I got the drill it started making a "bad noise" and then wouldn't turn. Discovered I'd inadvertently bumped the Forward/Reverse button to the center position--a no-go sitch switch. ;^)
I also have a couple of Craftsman cordless. Both need new batteries. Since the PC packs are the first I've had rebuilt I'll give them a few months before investing in the others.
Just my $0.02.
Dan
Dan Cullimore wrote:

That is one of the most annoying things to me: the high cost of batteries relative to the cost of the entire drill. The Dewalt that I just replaced with a Milwaukee still looks new and would run great if only the batteries could hold a decent charge still.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
many battery packs can be rebuilt since they are made up of individual cells you can buy "off the shelf". batteries just fail after a while and need to be replaced. its just the way it is.

Mortimer,
I know locally there is a store called "Battery Warehouse" that will rebuild batteries. It costs a fraction of the amount to buy new ones. Actually if you open the case of a battery, its just a simple role of what I assume is the actually setup. They simply replace that part. Give it a try on a battery your going to throw away.
Chuck
well, 5 years is pretty good, the price is right, and a three year warranty isn't anything to sneeze at.
I'd say they would get the nod.

dont
WoodChuck34 wrote:

I always use these occasions as an opportunity and excuse to upgrade; not replace. To that end, when my Dewalt 14.4V cordless drill's batteries started getting weak, I did some reading and ended up with a Milwaukee 18V cordless hammer drill (model 0624-24). I've had no reason since to regret the purchase. Expect to pay about $240 with free shipping if you buy it off the internet.
The weight, while a little more, isn't enough to make much of a difference. The power sure is: I think it's got enough torque to snatch itself out of my hand if it bound up tight enough. It drills through metal easily and wood like it isn't there. It came with two batteries and a quick charger just like the Dewalt. However, it's much more capable than the Dewalt (which I had thought was pretty good).
I will remind you that the old saying about the only time you enjoy a cheap tool is the day you pay for it. Consider that the Gospel.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
I am on my second Ryobi, I replaced the first one 'cause the batteries went and it was about the same price to upgrade the voltage and get a whole new one (disposable society). The first one lasted about 3 years of medium to heavy use, and I've had this one going on 2 years, with no problems. I do like the magnet in the base to hold loose screws. I would buy Ryobi again. Think I paid $89 at HD. It's a 19.2
-- -Jim
If you want to reply by email its --> ryan at jimryan dot com Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam

Panasonic, Makita, or Porter Cable are my preferences. The chucks (1/2") on the Makita and Porter Cable drills are very nice. I haven't used the Panasonic as much, but it has fared extremely well as a 15.6v against 18v drills in some comparison tests. I think DeWalt is a step down from these three. I would definitely get the 1/2" chuck if I were you.
Charlie
check out harborfreight.com for cordless rechargable drills. I see an 18 volt drill kit that comes with a flashlight under 25 dollars. there are all kinds of drills on harborfreight. The stuff I have bought at this place is pretty good stuff.