PC Cordless Drill Chuck Removal

My PC Model 9984 19.2V cordless drill has done me dirty and only growls at me whenever I try to use it. Thought it might be the clutch or the gearbox so I have taken it apart to do a little diagnosis. I found the LH allen screw buried in the mouth of the chuck and removed it. I cannot separate the gearbox from the chuck for love nor money however. I thought the chuck might be threaded as well, but the parts diagram from PC does not show this, nor any other retainer.

Anyone ever tackle this and come across the trick for removing the chuck? Seems today is a good day for posts regarding drill chucks ...

Reply to
DIYGUY

This has been covered many times before.

You already have removed the left hand threaded retaining screw. Good

Close the jaws of the chuck on the small end of the largest right angle Allen wrench you own. Borrow one from a neighbor if you have none. Looking at the nose (looking where the drill bit would go) turn the chuck counterclockwise. The way to turn it is to strike the handle of the Allen wrench as hard and sharp as you can. You have to really smack it, you may need to smash it several times. It will unscrew once you get it started.

DanG

Reply to
DIYGUY

Reply to
Russ

What I have never seen covered is what to do when you remove the screw but still cannot remove the chuck, as in my case with a Makita cordless? I'm not about to put heat on it and WD40 did not help. TIA

Reply to
LDR

Can you still charge the batteries and make the drill run?

Open the jaws of a heavy vise. Do not close the vise on the Allen handle, but make sure that the handle will bang into the vise jaw. Let the handle swing as far as possible before hitting the vise jaw. Make sure the drill is in low gear and reverse. It may still require hitting the jaw several times. Having confidence that the chuck will unscrew may be half the battle.

I always remember my dad's question whenever I asked for help to fix something:

"well, it's not working now is it? I guess we can't hurt it much!."

DanG

Reply to
DIYGUY