Removing chuck from power drill

Well, good to hear some evidential feedback of a WD-40 success, rather than the usual dismissive "armchair" rhetoric ;-)

Reply to
Jim K..

and the rest.

Reply to
Jim K..

I'm having problems removing a chuck from an old B&D reversible hammer drill. I'm using what I think is the same procedure I used many years ago but the chuck refuses to unscrew.

First I removed the locking screw from down in the depths of the chuck, remembering that it's a left hand thread then I gripped the short leg of a large allen key in the jaws of the chuck and gave the long leg a sharp tap with a hammer in an attempt to loosen the main right handed (I think?) thread but it seems to be seized up and there's not enough inertia in the motor to stop the shaft spinning round with the chuck.

I've squirted a dose of WD40 into the chuck and left the drill standing chuck uppermost in the hope it will loosen the thread overnight. Is there anything else worth trying if that doesn't work?

Reply to
Mike Clarke

my old orange 2-speed B&D drill just has a left hand thread, so, like you I clamp up a big allen key in the jaws with the short end in the jaws, then just give the long end a swift wack with a hammer and it unsticks the thread.

I think you are doing the right thing, it needs a hard jolt to unstick it.

If you know anyone with an impact driver, like the ones that garages use to remove wheel nuts and other stuff, that will probably shift it.

Reply to
Andrew

If its a 2 speed version, stick it in low gear.

I sometimes find simply putting the chuck key in the chuck and then giving the end of that a sharp tap with a hammer is quite effective. (there is a bit less spring in it than the alan key approach).

Reply to
John Rumm

That's what I do with an even older one which is 2 speed but this one has electronic speed control instead of a 2 speed gearbox.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

+1. A chuck key is much stiffer than an Allen key and will transmit a much higher ?shock? to the threads of the chuck when you whack it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

+1, that's what I do.

A big allen key has no 'spring' !!, and being hexagon shaped the chuck grips it nicely.

Reply to
Andrew

Jam the motor with a screwdriver in the blades of the fan. Then bash the chuck key.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I just put a key in the chuck and then hit the key will a hammer.

Reply to
Michael Chare
[snip]

This is a keyless chuck so I don't have the option of sticking a chuck key in a hole in the side of the chuck so I'm gripping a big chunky 8mm allen key in the jaws.

Still no joy after leaving some WD40 to soak down to the threads of the chuck overnight. The problem is that after years of use the chuck has become too firmly stuck to the threads on the drill spindle and the motor doesn't have enough inertia to resist the impacts from whacking the allen key.

I've even tried fixing the long leg of the allen key in a vice and starting up the drill in reverse to try to unscrew it. The drill has variable torque control so I cautiously started off at the lowest setting and progressively increased up to maximum but still no joy.

The plastic fan looks far too flimsy to try jamming a screwdriver between the blades before trying to whack the allen key.

It's starting to look like the chuck is going to be a permanent fixture, It's not a major problem because it's still functional but it only goes up to 10mm and I'd thought of re-fitting the original 13mm keyed chuck because I might be needing to use it to drill some 12mm holes.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Yes but you are transmitting the impact through the jaws which are not such a close fit to the body. I'd always go for the chuck key method.

Reply to
newshound

Unfortunately not an option with this keyless chuck.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

An air impact device, as used by garages for removing and tightening all manner of nuts and bolts would definately shift it. They work in both directions.

You are trying to turn it the correct way, aren't you ???

Reply to
Andrew

Left handed, surely, as everybody else has said.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Sorry, I missed that. I've occasionally tried to remove keyless chucks from otherwise scrap drills with limited success.

Reply to
newshound

you have removed the locking screw from inside the chuck?

-
Reply to
Mark

No, the locking screw is left handed but the thread on the chuck is right handed.

I can confirm that because after leaving things after this mornings failed attempt the WD40 seems to have worked its magic over the last few hours and the chuck finally spun loose after a bit more enthusiastic applications of the hammer this afternoon.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

For the future, WD40 consistently tests as the least effective attempt at a penetrating oil.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You astound me. I've never seen or heard of a comparative test of different penetrating oils. I'm not doubting you, by the way. :)

Reply to
GB