Congrats to Lee Valley

Page 1 of 2
I recently ordered some tools and supplies from Lee Valley in Canada by air mail. Two items ($ 50 worth) were missing on arrival. After an exchange of e-mails, the items were shipped by UPS express service at the company's expense - to France !
What I find remarkable is that there was no trouble whatsoever: the people in that firm don't assume you're trying to rip them off, don't demand endless proof of your statements, don't argue over who is responsible etc. They dealt with the issue the best and easiest way for me, not the cheapest for them. I'd heard the company's service being commended in the past, and can strongly support the praise it gets. It's especially reassuring when dealing from overseas to know that problems if any are going to be settled in a civilised way.
Only one P in my real address/ Un seul P dans ma vιritable adresse
Add pictures here
βœ–
De rien, M'sieu.
Salut -
Rob Lee

air mail. Two

the items were

in that firm

your statements,

best and easiest

being commended in

reassuring when

in a civilised

Add pictures here
βœ–
I have been reading their catalogues for the past weeks. I'm planning to drive out before xmas, its only about 1.5 hours from my home.
I think its well worth the trip, I told my wife that I would take her out to dinner if she comes with me....
I hope that she doesn't see my shopping list before I get there.
Daniel Martin

βœ–
D. Martin wrote:

I wonder how close the nearest one is to my home... Probably a good 13 hours anyway. :)
βœ–
Now you know why people all over the world order from them. Stuff happens but they make it right with no-hassle as you found out. That's why they're considered the best customer service organization around...not to mention they sell some great tools too...
Bob S.

air mail. Two

the items were

in that firm

your statements,

best and easiest

being commended in

reassuring when

in a civilised

Add pictures here
βœ–
Yea, A package from Lee Valley Tools came yesterday, addressed to SWMBO. :-) I wonder if it could be the new shoulder plane that I circled in their Christmas catalog. heh, heh, . . . . . .

e-mails,
people
of
settled
Add pictures here
βœ–
Those of us who have traded with this company know it is a class act to be sure. Quality goods at reasonable prices AND great customer support.
-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES Manchester, CT
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net
"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)
Remove "no" to reply

air mail. Two

the items were

in that firm

your statements,

best and easiest

being commended in

reassuring when

in a civilised

Add pictures here
βœ–
SWMBO wants Robin to know that we got our Xmas order yesterday including the Carousel Book on the recently constructed North Bay, ON, carousel. She loves it; it's beautiful. The problem is that now we have to plan a trip to North Bay to see and ride it.
We both find it difficult to open any Lee Valley catalog without ordering something(s). We find the book choices especially attractive and we really enjoy the reprints of the books from early in the 20th century. We have already run out of bookcase space several times. But that is what the tools are for, right?
George

air mail. Two

the items were

in that firm

your statements,

best and easiest

being commended in

reassuring when

in a civilised

Add pictures here
βœ–
I'll add my attaboys to this list. I've only made a couple of orders with them, but they have been fast and well=packed. It's getting pretty bad when you get better service through the mail than you can get from local stores across the counter.
On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 15:30:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wanadoo.fr (Peter Wells) wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Great company, great people. I had a missing item from an order once. I wasn't charged for it though, and the item was sent promptly shortly after with no shipping charge. Kudos to the folks at Lee Valley!
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski, RN. BNurs (QUT) PGDipSci(HMS) Editor, OnlineToolReviews.com The Woodworker's Product Review Resource Online! http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 40 Woodworking Product Reviews Available!
Add pictures here
βœ–
I agree that's it's nice to have that kind of service, but if the items were lost in transit, then Lee Valley valley replaced items through no fault of their own and provided twice the product for the price of one. I think it's assumed anymore that companies are responsible for loss in transit by UPS / Post Office / International Carrier. If they can prove that they shipped the product, I think that a claim against the carrier is what is necessary. I agree that Lee Valley went above and beyond in this case.
Don

air mail. Two

the items were

in that firm

your statements,

best and easiest

being commended in

reassuring when

in a civilised

Add pictures here
βœ–
V. E. Dorn responds:

They usually do, I understand, but what I think--let's emphasize "think" here--happens is that Lee Valley takes the case to the shipper, but doesn't make the customer wait for resolution. No sensible company is going to toss money out the window, so LV probably tries to recover from the shipper, while immediately keeping the customer happy with no extra waiting.
Charlie Self
"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin
Add pictures here
βœ–
Charlie Self wrote:

Sounds perfectly reasonable. The claims process against a carrier can take a long time. Weeks, maybe months. Not making customers wait is probably a sound business decision because of the good will it generates.
IME, most people pass the cost on to the customer. Your blurfl got lost. If you want it anytime soon, buy another blurfl, and we'll issue you a credit once we settle the claim against the carrier who sent it to Kuala Lumpur. Key thing there is *credit* too.
I'm comforted to know LV is willing to do the most convenient thing for the customer. One more reason why I wish I could afford one of everything. :)
βœ–
I'm happy to brag that I live only 3 miles from their store in Calgary, so on the rare occasion that they have to deliver a back-ordered item to me, at no extra charge, of course, I haven't been disappointed by them yet.
Robin - keep up the good work.
Stephen

air mail. Two

the items were

in that firm

your statements,

best and easiest

being commended in

reassuring when

in a civilised

Add pictures here
βœ–
Stores like Lee Valley must be doing good business. We have noticed an increase in interest for woodworking in my area. The more expensive tools seem to be selling very easily. It may have something to do with the aging population going back to their sources.
D.Martin

βœ–
D. Martin writes:

It may have something with the aging boomers starting to retire, too. They face a need to do something worthwhile with their time: fewer and fewer people are will to class retirement as a time to fold it up and get ready to put it away (especially for all the people retiring at or around 55). Can any of us think of many worthwhile, long term activities that are more rewarding than woodworking?
[He says as he goes downstairs to see if there's a football game worth watching--before finishing hanging the last door I'll need to hang in this house (got to mortise the hinges into the door jamb, then add the lockset and pop the pins in).]
Charlie Self
"I have one yardstick by which I test every major problem-and that yardstick is: Is it good for America?" Dwight D. Eisenhower
Add pictures here
βœ–
Charlie Self wrote:

Model railroading is another one in the same category. The rewards are different, but it's another hobby for people who find chess and fishing too fast-paced. It can go hand in hand on price too.
There's a reason most serious woodworkers and model railroaders are old enough to have kids out of college. When you're 30-something with a big mortgage and lots of kid-related expenses to cover, it's really hard to find money for wrecking wood.

A football game worth watching. There's no such thing. Not 'nless the cheerleaders are but nekkit, and it's halftime all day long. :)
βœ–

I expect you will be enjoying the "Lingerie Bowl" played at halftime of the Super Bowl then:)
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dave wrote:

Not 'nless they're butt nekkit. That lin-jeery don't do nothin' f'r me.
βœ–

I think part of it too is those of us who work on computers all day. I don't want to go home and watch TV or work/play on the computer. I would much rather do something less "high tech". Besides, all my co-workers are jealous of the stuff I build. ;-)
Speaking of Lee Valley. I've been thinking of building their European workbench. Anybody build this? If so, would you recommend it?
Wayne
Add pictures here
βœ–