compressed-air drills

Page 4 of 5
Maybe the USanians have standardized on Roberts head sizes, since the patent timed out?...LOL
I don't think the old screws are going to like the chamge of technique though.

✖

I'm certainly not a pro, but I use Phillips, Robertson, and TORX/Star screws, in about the same numbers (prefer TORX, if I can find them). Bits for all of them are pretty common, even in the junk stores.

You don't change the technique, you change the DIRECTION. ;-)
Add pictures here
✖

Most all the air drills I have seen tend to be high RPM drills and are quite loud. IIRC they use quite a bit of air also. You may be waiting as much for the compressor to recharge as you would for the batteries to recharge.
I would go for a cordless impact driver, faster and more torque than a cordless drill.
Cheaper still, a corded variable speed drill, they don't give up and have the required torque. A clutched variety would be ideal IMHO.
Add pictures here
✖

Despite what others have been saying I have recently bought an air impact driver. Of course as with any tool you get the quality you pay for. Although as far as I know there are few really cheep quality air tools yet.
For me the advantages are clear
1) there are no batteries that will die if not used for a months and any way in about 3 years. 2) Smaller than any battery impact driver. 3) The air hose is far more flexible and longer than any corded driver. 4) The service life is much longer than any electric powered drill. 5) Over haul when eventually needed is it is easy and fast
--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
>Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
✖
On May 24, 6:45 am, snipped-for-privacy@spamblock.net (Jerome Meekings) wrote:

Nonsense. Have you looked at a Bosch Impactor? Any smaller and it would be useless.

Again, nonsense. How long is a string?

More crap.

Only because it needs it.
Add pictures here
✖

My Bosch drill is at least 7 years old, still on the original batteries. They no longer hold a charge as long as they did when they were new, but they're not dead yet either by any means. It's just in the last year that they've reached the point where I can deplete one battery in less time than it takes to recharge the spare. [...]

Agreed, that *is* nonsense. Electrical cords are *far* more flexible than any air hose I've ever seen. As for length... Jerome, have you ever heard of an extension cord?
Add pictures here
✖

D'oh! Wish I'd thought of that. :-)
--

-MIKE-

✖

Of course it it small however it is also low powered. Size for power air wins every time.

nonsense? Not at all.
cables for a corded driver are almost never over 3M however since all my air tools have a QR on the tool. Any length (in my case) up to 50M without junctions is usable.

In your opinion.
If electric impact drivers were so good then tyre shops and garages would use them.
With sanders exactly the same is true though they need a high airflow, so few non professional workshops have the compressor power to use them

Which part of the word "eventually" did you miss?
by the time an air impact can use an overhaul it will have outlasted 2 or 3 equivelent electric impact drivers
-- >replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me >Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml and http://www.meekings.net/photo-groups/nui/index.shtml
Add pictures here
✖
On May 24, 12:48 pm, snipped-for-privacy@spamblock.net (Jerome Meekings) wrote:

Absolute nonsense.

More flexible? What drugs are you on? Yes the corded screwdrive is 6' or so, but the cord on an air screwdriver is zero length. You have to use an extension to use the bloody thing at all!

I bet several here have drills that are fifty years old. Got an air nailer that's 50?

Idiot. This is rec.woodworking.

Eventually it will need it. What is so hard about that to understand?

Nonsense.
Add pictures here
✖
On 5/24/10 12:48 PM, Jerome Meekings wrote:

Apple and oranges. And if I have to explain it, then it's not worth explaining. :-)
--

-MIKE-

✖
On 5/24/2010 1:48 PM, Jerome Meekings wrote:

So you're saying that an air impact driver with a power level appropriate to driving deck screws is necessarily too small to be usable? Because that's what it sounds like.

Don't they have extension cords in your universe?

Tyre shops and garages have to remove stuck or rusted on fasteners, not drive deck screws.
Try driving deck screws with one of the impact wrenches that a garage uses and get back to us on how you make out.

By the time my electric impact driver wears out in the use I give it my grandchildren will have inherited it.
You seem to have some kind of religious devotion to pneumatic tools.
If you can find a pneumatic tool purpose-designed for driving wood screws please do provide a link to it.
Add pictures here
✖
Just to add my $.02 worth, try to run an impact wrench or pneumatic drill for more than a minute or 2 with the typical portable compressor used by carpenters or in a woodshop.

✖
On 5/24/10 6:22 PM, Larry W wrote:

Awwww, c'mon Larry, any carpenter who knows what he's doing keeps an 80 gallon compressor in the bed of his pick-up, silly.
--

-MIKE-

✖

Actually they do use them, I still have one from my old tire days. That electric 1/2" impact wrench would take care of what air could not.
Add pictures here
✖
On 5/24/10 6:45 AM, Jerome Meekings wrote:

At least you added, "for me." :-)

Plus, that compressor is a lot more portable than those little battery packs.

Not true. The new ones are pretty small.

Really? Do you use yours when it's full of air? I have a 100' extension cord that is waaaaay easier to use than a 100' air hose under pressure. Of course, we're talking extension cords/hoses, which are needed for both.

Again, really? I have a 20 year old hammer drill that's still cranking it out. It was even half submerged in water overnight.

I'll give you that. Some rings and seals and you're good as new.
--

-MIKE-

✖
On May 22, 11:26 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

We are getting away from what the original question is. I have not seen an air drill with a clutch only because they wouldn't be of much use. Air tools are specific in use not like electric which tries to cover many uses. So hence why they don't have a clutch because there are air impact drivers and air screwdrivers. I do agree that if air powered was better that you would see many more contractors using them (except nailers).
The question you have to ask yourself, is "Am I going to use it after the job is done?". If you don't have much other use for it beyond the scope of the deck, I wouldn't go that route. Then think about compressor capacity. Is your compressor capable of the scfm needed for the drill? Since it would be in use for longer durations, you need a compressor that is at least a 30 gallon or higher and able to deliver at least 8-9 scfm at 90 psi. Then if your compressor is smaller, it constantly has to play catch up and then it is running nonstop. It would be about the same as if you left your table saw running the entire time you were building the deck. Not very good on the electric bill.
I myself would go the cordless impact driver way since you said it is about 140 square feet. You said that your drill is about 7 years old. I would look at a drill/impact driver kit and keep your old one for the times you could use 2 drills. I doubt that you would find an impact driver kit that you could use the batteries on your old drill.
I have an air drill, It is nice for drilling wood because of the low torque and high rpm, but I would not try to drive screws with it. Allen
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks for the thoughtful response, Allen. I believe that you and a few others have talked me into looking at a new cordless drill instead...
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 24 May 2010 16:32:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Doug, depending on location I happen to have some new in box metabo cordless drill drivers and electric screw guns. 15.6V for 175.00 18V for200.00 and electric screw gun 125.00 plus shipping. this is about half price for these tools. I found several at a good deal and am passing along the savings to fellow woodworkers. They are NOT hot! leave a message here if you are interested or e-mail me at fcpreston at nc dot rr dot com. I do not sell tools for a living.... :-]
skeez
Add pictures here
✖

PS I can e-mail pics and specs. just ask.
skeez
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks for the offer, skeez -- and BTW, coming from you, it never even occurred to me to wonder if they were hot -- but I think I'll see how I get along with the aging Bosch and the nearly-new Ryobi that I'm sure I can borrow from my Dad; I forgot he had one. And I should have remembered that: I gave it to him for Christmas.
Add pictures here
✖