compressed-air drills

That doesn't sound right. SS is much more ductile than carbon steel. Must be cheap low grade SS.

nb

Reply to
notbob

The only problems I've had with SS is the heads stripping easily. An impact driver should fix that problem.

Reply to
krw

Yes. SS is softer.

I'm pretty new to the whole screw gun technology scene and now that I've invested in a good one and used it, I wish I'd have known more about it and gone with a screw/impact driver, instead. I can now see why I'll eventually be buying one despite already having a good screw gun.

nb

Reply to
notbob

My 18v DeWalt drove all the Torx head screws in my Trex deck. Works fine. Unfortunately I am going to have to do it again as the Trex is decomposing. They replaced all the Trex in my buddies deck, but do not supply the screws. And I had about $230 in stainless deck screws in my deck.

Reply to
Califbill

And the DeWalt battery skilsaw is fantastic when doing the deck. At least on Trex. No cord to pull around when you need a little trimming. I used the gear drive Skilsaw for major cutting, but if you needed to square an end, reach for the battery saw.

Reply to
Califbill

We have a few hundred square feet of deck to do and always figured we would go the Trex route.

Lately I have been reading a lot of bad stuff about these brands with molding and rot. Apparently the answer is to use a mold prevention wash a few times a year on the maintenance free surface....LOL

Reply to
Josepi

sage

Yeah, the 18V Dewalt circular saw is really handy. Unlike the Makita

9.6V it's useful on far more than clapboards. For heavier work I have the Dewalt rear swivel circular saw. The rear swivel makes depth and angle adjustment a snap.
Reply to
keithw86

Wondered about the wood components in it. I have some Veranda on my weather station. Hope it stands up to weather.

Seems to be a lot of plastic in it. Saw had long stringers on it.

They might have cut back on plastic from R&D to save money and now find the facts.

Thanks Guys - great info.

Mart> We have a few hundred square feet of deck to do and always figured we would

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn