comparisons between Mafell & Festool Circular Saw?

I'm interested in purchasing a new circular saw, mainly for cutting panels to size.

I'm torn between the Festool TS55 & Mafell KST 55 offerings, (the flexitrack looks useful)

Is the Festool worth the extra money?

regards

Adrian

Reply to
Ade

Don't know much about the Mafell. Festool is way overpriced. The only thing really nice about it is the plunge design -- I'd buy two nice Porter_Cable circular saws for the price of one Festool. Then you could dedicate one to panel cutting and the other to whatever......

The "flexitrack" has competitors: Lee Valley:

Grip -- I think it's sold by micro-fence and Amazon. Just do a google seach on "tru grip"

Woodcraft has a verions, too -- or maybe it's Japan Woodworker -- don't recall righnt now.

Porter-Cable also sells a system.

I'd get to Porter-Cable circule saws -- the new one just introduced and a Tru-Grip.

You might do and advanced search this news group for posting by Never Enough Money" and titles containing the word "Festool".

Reply to
Never Enough Money

No. The Festool is not worth the extra money IMO. I saw it demonstrated at a recent wood working show, and didn't see any advantage it offered over my Skil HD77M MAG 77 wormdrive saw with Freud plywood blade and a shop-made straight edge track with C clamps. My setup does a great job at dimensioning panels, and I couldn't ask for a better saw.

Festool does make some nice tools, but at completely unreasonable prices to me. I do have their barrel grip jig saw which I bought on a closeout for the same price I would have paid for the Bosch. And I think that outside of highly discounted sales, their tools just don't make sense.

I've never seen a Mafell, but looking at the website, I can only assume it is another overpriced option like the Festool. These tools appear very plasticky to me and less versatile, unlike the Skil 77 which I have to worries about banging around in the backyard.

FWIW

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Festool is worth the money if:

  1. You have the extra money to spend
  2. Want to keep the tool for decades
  3. Either want the best or do it 10 hours a day, 5 days a week
  4. Want the best dust control, since European standards are more stringent than American ones.

My next (and presumably last) shop vac will be either a Festool or a Fein. They ar emuch quieter, much more pwerful, and farmore reliable than the others. But if money is an issue, well, go with another brand. My jog saw is a Bosch, and while I am sure the Festool is better, I don't think of it as a precision tool, and would not spend the bucks on it.

I'll say this thoughh. Aime Fraser came to our club (the Long Island Woodworkers Club) in May, bringing some of her tools. She really liked her Festool circular saw, and she does not work for the company; so there is someting to be said for it. The accessories are really nice too.

Reply to
DarylRos

Anyone here a dedicated Festool user? If you were to be tooling a brand new custom cabinetry shop, in the expectation of having very steady work, do you think Festool would be a more sound investment than a mix and match of other brands? It's intriguing....

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Regarding the Festool dust control -- I'm pretty sure you MUST buy their dust vacuum (or make a hose adapter) to attach to their tools. Whereas the more well known tools like Porte-Cable, Milwalkee, DeWalt, etc have standard hose diameters. Maybe Festool sells an adapter????

My conclusions about Festools are (1) high quality (2) overpriced by about a factor of 2, (3) all the accessories have to be Festool, and

I don't want to keep a tool ten years, it's exciting to replace a tool with newer more advanced tools about every ten...besides I think some non-Festool tools last a long long time too.

Regarding the Fein "shop vac" -- just bought mine -- it's very nice -- I have not compared it with Festool but I suspect I could buy two Fein's for one Festool -- and there's just no wat the Festool is twice as good -- maybe, I say maybe, 5% better.....

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Strother Purdy told me that when someone owns one Festool product, they tend to want more of their line.

Reply to
DarylRos

Hi Adrian,

about one year ago I faced the same situation as you. I was deciding between a Festool and a Mafell plunge saw. I have to admit that the Mafell KSP 40 Flexistem (the saw with the flexible guide rail) is *very* nice. Unfortunately, there are hardly any accessories such as angle unit, longer rail, etc and the flexible rail can't be used along with a router. Besides, the cutting depth of the KSP 40 is only 42 mm (I think 40 mm if used with the rail).

I asked at Mafell if one of the larger saws (I was contemplating the KST 55 SE) could be used with the flexible rail. The response was no, if I remember correctly. It might be possible to use it for 90° cuts but not for cuts at a different angle. Anyway, I'd recommend to ask Mafell for some information about this.

Finally, I bought the Festool TS 55 EBQ (including a 1400 mm rail and a Systainer). I really love this saw. If you have any other Festool's (maybe the router) or want to get one one day, you should get the Festool saw IMO. The circular saws, the jigsaws and the routers use the same rails. BTW, Festool offers an extremely wide range of accessories for the rails.

You might like to check out some reviews (regarding the ATF 55, the TS

55's predecessor:
this helps,

Christian

Reply to
Christian Aufreiter

JP, I have been asked that question by about 6 of my readers in the past 3 weeks. I will have an answer pretty soon. I am setting up the Festool corner of the shop for the work flow of cabinet making. It will be most all Festool product. The exception is I will build a Jessem mast-r-lift into a Festool MFT with a Porter Cable router...to do rail and stile amd raised panel door making. I think evey other task will be in Festool's arena. I have already done parts of this in stories of a year ago. This will be for a "white paper" approach. Stay tuned. I am looking for thoughts. John Lucas

JLucas ILS

Thanks everyone for your replies,

I think I will probably wait and go for the Festool, just because I'm a tool Junkie!!!

I just need to convince the wife that I 'need' this to be able to start the new kitchen.

Regards

Adrian

Reply to
Ade

Careful with this one.... ;-) SWMBO saw me upgrade from a bench saw to a contractor saw, and purchase a used jointer, plainer, drill press and band saw. I got my tools but she still has the worn-out 1960's metal kitchen cabinets.

I couldn't buy a used 3/8" washer "Because it's needed for the kitchen cabinets" right now....

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

... and I forgot to mention a sh*tload of HD Bessy closeout clamps, two 1/2" routers and a dust collector....

Reply to
Mark Jerde