shop vac recommendations?

Hi,

I could use some help. I can't really figure out what I should buy for cleaning up sawdust in my garage shop.

I currently have a QSP 10 gal shopvac. The noise doesn't bother me too much but it does have other issues. I've never fill it more than 3 inches before the paper filter clogs. After it clogs, the motor goes into a high pitched wail. That's when I know I have to clean the filter. I use a combination of a slapping it against the side of a large trash can and using a soft bristled brush to "comb" out the inner folds of the filter. It also gives me an electrical shock if I touch a metal part when the machine is running. (At first I thought I had a defective unit. I returned it and got another. It did the same thing. I also checked the primary ground in the house. It's fine. This same thing also happened when I used the unit at a newly purchased house.)

I live where the weather is very nice. I use my contractor saw and do my sanding & routing outside in the driveway. I have a Delta overhead unit to take the fine dust out of the air in the garage. (This works very well.) I don't use dust collection on my mitersaw, bandsaw or drill press.

I usually use a broom to sweep up the biggest piles of sawdust and chips and then use the shopvac on the rest.

I "googled" past posts. I read many articles the Fein, Festool and Porter-Cable vacuums.

I like what I read on the Fein but a few people said that it is better on dust extraction than picking up sawdust off the floor. The Festool looks like it is best used if you want to run all Festool hand tools. The Porter-Cable looks like it is better for picking up the fine dust rather than the chips and piles of sawdust.

So.... I can't really figure out if any of the other tools would be an improvement or if I should just keep getting lightly shocked with my current fast clogging unit.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer.

Reply to
Carter

you'll get much better performance from this vacuum if you run it with a bag as well as with the pleated filter.

Reply to
bridger

Carter,

You might want to look at the Gortex filter by Cleanstream. It's HEPA and washable so cleaning it should be easier than the paper filter you're using. You can do a search on Amazon.com to see what I'm talking about. I know Lowes carries it, but I'm not sure if Home Depot does.

Layne

ps, usual disclaimers apply.

Reply to
Layne

That sounds like a good idea.

I had no idea this vacuum could be used with a bag.

Where do I get the bags?

How do they attach?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Reply to
Carter

You say that the house ground is fine but have you checked the wiring of the individual outlet?

Tim

Reply to
Ellestad

I buy them at a local ace hardware. not all of the stores carry them, and so far I've only found one store that carries the right size for my vacuum. they are out there, though.

Reply to
bridger

Hi,

No need for further replys.

After about 30 minutes of rummaging around I found the instruction manual. You're right. It shows an optional filter available. Thanks for saving me some money. (Otherwise I might have purchased another vacuum.) I'll try your suggestion. It might just do the trick.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Carter

Thanks for mentioning that.

Using an plug in type tester, the outlet(s) show no open ground. I'll just make sure I'm not standing in a puddle of water when I'm using the unit.

Reply to
Carter

Lee Valley carries them too. They work great. You can even use them for drywall dust. Only problem is that they clog up even faster than the paper filters, which means the use of a bag is necessary unless you enjoy cleaning the filter every half hour or so.

Reply to
mp

The shock you're getting is probably from static. If the relative humidity is very low where you are, then static shocks are much more likely. Try applying some paint to the exposed metal surfaces. It may help.

Bowhunter

Reply to
bowhunter

Thanks a very good suggestion. I never even considered that possibility.

Reply to
Carter