columbus show

Has anyone went to the Columbus show yet? Is their very many venders? Can you find good deals? I have never been to the show and wondered if it was worth my trip over tomorrow or Sunday.

Reply to
buick 58

I went yesterday. Thought I'd get there early, 11:30am (show started at noon) and maybe get a closer parking spot. Didn't happen, place was packed by then! The crowd did subside somewhat around 4:00pm though. There are some good deals, but most things are just a little below retail. However, you will get some extras thrown in. Plenty of vendors, although not as many as in past years. If you've never been, JUST GO! Be prepared to deal with a little traffic, a bit of a walk to and from the show (and in the show), and a good size crowd of people. Enter the show, go to the pretzel stand on your right, get a cold one, and shop! --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

aaaarrrgghh!! I bought a set of inserts for my Incra router lift from the Incra booth and they DON'T FIT. Theylook righ, but are larger. WTF??? Looks like I'll be driving another 60 miles, fighting the crowd and traffic AGAIN to take these back. Damn, I was looking forward to spending the day in the shop. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

I went on Friday. Wanted to get there at the open (Noon) but got there around 1 pm. Just in time for the Wood Magazine talk about how to make their mantle clock....learned some interesting tips from the guy giving the lecture. Also got a free Wood Magazine (even though I had it already from my subscription), JET tools 2006 catalog, a bunch of sample stains.

There aren't alot of 'deals' going on. Just priced a little below retail like Dave stated. There are a lot of vendors that throw in extras to get you to buy the product. For example, I stopped by a booth and the guy was demonstrating one of the tools that will cut the outer casing of a wire and stip it. I always wanted one since it will help with wiring the shop and such. For the price I wasn't biting...guy through in a small set plus a bigger set at no cost. Couldn't pass it up.

Forrest Blades was there. First time I stopped by their booth, never was looking for them before now. Found out that for their blades you need to use a stiffener because of the thin kerf. Also found out it would cost about $135 for the blade and stiffener....looked online later that day and saw the blades and stiffeners being sold for about the same price...no deal from them.

There are also vendors that don't have anything to do with woodworking...like my example above. For the second year in a row, saw the vendor with the 'brooms' that have the rubber heads with little 'fingers' on them...supposedly picks up anything...yah right...not too many carrying them around this year like there was last year.

I did see the pretzel stand Dave mentioned...unfortunately since I wasn't drinking, I had to settle for a pretzel and a coke.

As in the past, any bandsaw demonstrations for roller bearings, the person cut reindeer...although the pattern change a little and the reindeer got fatter but it was still a reindeer.

There are a couple of lumber dealers with booths there trying to get you to buy from them. The best I think if the Frank Miller Lumber. Just over the state line in Indiana but they deliver to Columbus for free. Lady stated it takes about 1 week for delivery. They seem to have a lot of order from the Columbus area and when they get 'enough' to make it good for them, then send the truck...must be getting a lot if a truck comes once every week.

If you want a list of vendors, just go to

and select Columbus. There will be a link to a map showing the floor layout and where each vendor is.

If you got the flyer in the mail from them, don't believe the $4 parking that it shows on the back. Parking on Friday was $5 or $12 for all three days. Good thing about the flyer is that there is a $2 off coupon on back. If you want to bring your spouse or someone you can call your spouse for the day, go the the website above and print a 'spouse gets in for free' coupon.

There were a couple of booths in the back with people from various woodworking clubs in Ohio. May be of interest to someone.

Lots of lathe turning going on in the back.

This is just a quick review of what I saw. Of course you have your big hitters also: Delta/Porter Cable and DeWalt. Mikita had a small setup in the far back corner. Shop Fox dust collectors were being demonstrated by NoSawDust.com.

Karl

buick 58 wrote:

Reply to
Karl

The stiffener is advised for anyone's thin kerf blade. Not all Forrest blades are thin kerf.

Reply to
CW

Well, I went again today. I exchanged the router table inserts for the ones I needed then more shopping/beer. Ended up coming back with a PC 7518. It was the last one Delta had. Just got her dropped into the router table this eve and will try it out on making some raised panel doors tomorrow when I'm sober. Oddly enough, I didn't spend near the $ this year as I did the last few years. I usually start saving in the fall so I have some $ to spend there, usually around $1000. This year I had $1000, but only spent $600 or so. First time I actually came home from the show with money left! Either my shop is now pretty well equipped, or it was because LN wasn't there this year, I dunno which. I was, however, really looking forward to getting a #4 from them. I do think the show is steadily going downhill. There are more and more vendors pushing stuff that isn't WW related. The brooms you mentioned, the hot/cold massage therapy (or whatever it was) etc, etc. If it keeps up like this, I swear I'll only spend one day there next year! In any case, I did manage to get to Woodwerks in Gahanna as well. They have sort of a mini WW show there this weekend with a couple vendors (Bessey, Jet and very few others). They give 10% off most everything in the store, so it's worthwile to go if you need something from them (or Rockler). No beer, but free popcorn! --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Only on thin kerf blades. Forrest makes blades of several thick nesses.

FWIW, the stiffeners work on any brand of thin kerf blade.

Reply to
B A R R Y

The same thing happened to radio control shows.

As the web gathered momentum in the late 90's, more vendors saw it as a better, much cheaper alternative to traveling booths. The wicked deals formerly available only at shows became available frequently on the web. Show promoters needed to fill booth space and along came the replacement window, magic blender, and Ginsu knife booths.

On one hand, I like the access the web has given us to discounts, but I truly miss the "touchy-feelie" and human contact experience of trade shows.

Reply to
B A R R Y