Circular saw won't ground, safe?

Page 5 of 6

Andy is a Brit. Do your best to translate from context. ;-)

Watch the movie "Snatch" on DVD. Listen carefully to how Brad Pitt talks in that flick. Then, when reading a post from Andy, superimpose, in your mind, Pitt's accent with Andy's words. It will all make sense then.
*ducking*
A Guy Ritchie film. Snatch, as well as Lock Stock And Two Smoking Barrels are amongst my favourite movies. Ritchie is a great film maker, IMHO. Why he married that douche-bag Madonna, I'll never know.
Waitasec, in which newsgroup am I?

It's been done before - remember 'Airplane'? Cracked me up when the guy says "shiiiiiiit" and the subtitle shows "golly!"
On Tue, 17 May 2005 01:14:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Yeah, but I could pretty much follow what the 'Airplane' guy was saying. The Brit? NFW. (IIRC, it was cockney rhyming slang...with a Jamaican accent.)
At work, I have to translate Geek to Manager: "Perhaps I can be of assistance: I speak jive."
Lee

Do you like watching gladiator movies, Doug?

Not particularly; why do you ask?

'Twas an Airplane! reference, not funny at this time.

DUH! Of course it was. My morning coffee hadn't kicked in yet, I guess.
Possible death. Replace the cord.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

    You would be risking a fatal electrical shock, should the saw develop an internal insulation fault (as it very well could if it's that old).
    Replace the cord completely. If you lack the requisite skill and/or tools to do so properly, you should take the unit to a professional repair shop. Any place that repairs power tools should be able to handle it.

I certainly agree that the cord should be replaced; but it is not particularly dangerous. To get any shock, you would have to both short the hot to the frame and break the neutral. While certainly not impossible, it isn't likely. (Though I just threw out a 60 year old waffle iron with exactly this problem; well actually it was shorted before the switch, so it was like a broken neutral.) Even then, the bigger danger is dropping a saw with a spinning blade than electrocution.
My oven, like millions out there, has the neutral attached to the frame; which is essentially a deliberate short. Unless the neutral is broken, it is harmless. It is a foolish setup, and is now contrary to code, but you would be hard pressed to find anyone hurt by it.
    <snippety>

    <snippety-two>
    Underestimating potential hazards has probably gotten lots of people killed.
    Any cord that is frayed and cracking is dangerous. Period. That saw should NOT be used, under any conditions, until it has been properly repaired.
On Sun, 15 May 2005 09:05:54 -0700, Dr.Anton wrote:

I'm with Dr. Anton on this one.
Replace the cord.
Cheers! Rich

Either this is a troll or you are a moron. Take your pick.
I think the OP was trolling, judging by his lack of response. It looks like he hauled in a whole netfull.
Bob
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

At the risk he was just an ignorant fool, I decided to respond anyway. But I think you're probably right.

I haven't found the time to work on the cord. I will now.
Someone please explain why do some modern factory drills, grinders and saws get away without a ground plug?
(Here's an ignorant question) Is it true that I can receive a fatal shock if I touch my skin from either neutral or hot and then ground? If so, then why not replace the ground with a safer model which doesn't allow a shock?
Lastly, a hot or neutral short to ground shuts down my entire electrical system. Is this the GFCI?
Thanks
wrote in message

You can get a nasty shock by simulataneously touching the hot wire and either the neutral or ground wires.

Jim

Not necessarily so. It depends on how well you're grounded. If you touch neutral and ground simultaneously, your body is providing an alternate path to ground, in parallel with the neutral conductor. If you're standing in a puddle on a bare concrete floor, you're providing a fairly low-impedance path to ground. I wouldn't want to try the experiment.
For info on how a GFCI works check Sam's , very complete:
http://www.codecheck.com/gfci_principal.htm

As above double insulated and more over usually GFCI protected.

Hot to ground short - how big is the spark? 15-20 Amps? Breaker. No spark? - Possibly a GFCI Neutral to ground short - Possibly a GFCI or total miswire And if this is the case can't you ID the GFCI?
Incidently any electrician knows that you can be shocked from a neutral line, especially if you're dissasembling a junction of several neutrals even with the power turned off to the box you're in. One or more of the neutrals can be tied back to another hot or often the other leg through an appliance. Can be a nasty suprise if someone turns on the toaster while you're working on a neutral. There could also be a break in the neutral. I recently rewired a garage where the BX was run along the ground right under the threshold of the door. Salt corrosion rotted the neutral wire out as well as the BX shield. Whoever did this job also tied the neutral to conduit ground so the path was hot to device neutral to box ground to earth through the remenents of the BX. Their son got a nasty shock walking into the garage barefoot on a rainy night and turning on the light!
Richard