Source for Thick Walnut

Anyone know of a source for Kiln-dried 8/4 or thicker walnut in the SE Kansas, SW Missouri, NW Arkansas, NE OK area?

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Was an ad in the Wichita Eagle Sunday (sorry, don't have it handy to give phone number, but I presume they have it online although that's a guess) for an individual listing 150 +/- bf from 5/4 thru 12/4...620- area code so wasn't in Wichita city (or I suppose could have been a cell number).

I've bought through Star Lumber in Wichita who get their supply through a wholesaler there (who only sells wholesale). There are mills in the SE but I don't have any contacts...if you were to find some, that would be good info to know...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Ron, I would think that there has to be a sawmill of some sort around Springfield,MO. Call some of the tool places, ask some of the local arborists, ask the lumber suppliers. They may not have it themselves, but they probably know someone who does. robo hippy

Reply to
robo hippy

There used to be a sawmill in Fredonia, KS. May not be there anymore, been ~10yrs since I was there.

The ad Duane mentioned could be the gentleman with a Woodmizer near ?Alden? (IIRC). Nice guy who cut up some Black walnut for me ~4yrs ago, but that's more central KS.

-- J R

Reply to
Nobody_special

Sorry for the off-topic remarek but ...

Fredonia!?!? It's been quite some time since I was there, well over 20 years. My great uncle lived there since around the 40s. He was the one who showed me a brass 8 guage shotgun shell. It was used by the cement industry there to blast a hole in the rock that would later take some dynomite. He also showed me how to clean a rabbit. Thanks for sparking a memory

Reply to
Kevin

You might even call Woodmizer, and ask them if they have sent any of their mills out to your area.

Given a choice, I would take air dried over 'kill dried' any day. It has to be inside for a while before you use it, but when you run it through the table saw, you get shavings, not saw dust. robo hippy

Reply to
robo hippy

I bought quite a bit of hardwood from the Fredonia mill. It was only about

30 miles from my home town and they did stock some of the heavier stuff. Dad turned the operation over to family about five years ago and some sort of squabble ended up destroying the business.

RonB

Reply to
RonB