Circular saw recommendations?

If any part of a 2x10 fits onto the infeed or outfeed table on your table saw it must be an amazingly small saw.

You need an additional support for cross cutting long boards that is neither infeed nor outfeed but an end support.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Reply to
Swingman

Read it again. I do not know what YOU are talking about.... and that's okay by me.

Reply to
Robatoy

LOL

Reply to
Max

A quick search didn't find a distributor w/ online prices listed for the larger OSC saws but a 2000 review of the 10" in FWW had it listed for $2500 or thereabouts; I've probably underestimated the larger based on that.

I did see that Freud and some of the others now have 16" blades in the $100+ price range; I guess the larger cutoff saws have generated some demand. I might have to explore what is now available; I'm still using the same blades I got with it originally; they're much heavier than what one is used to; almost like a (very) small sawmill blade. Hence, at the rate a small shop uses them up they can be resharpened almost indefinitely unless one were really, really abusing one with highly abrasive woods or huge amounts of dirt or foreign objects in reclaimed material.

That was the hardest on blades in VA; we tried to reuse as much original material as possible from those old places and would also buy or dive material from scrap of others that were being razed or gutted by those who didn't try to refurb but just built new inside the old structures(+) as raw material sources for those we were refurbishing/restoring.

(+) We tried once bidding the demolition on one of these w/ the idea we would retrieve instead of just demolish and lost our shirts. The contract had a time performance penalty and in the end to meet it it was either go to the demolish route or hire so much extra labor to salvage what we needed that it didn't pay. :( It was almost heartbreaking to see what went to burn piles out of some those places...

--

Reply to
dpb

Well, not _too_ badly...

(Of course, this is just the "entry-level" model... :) )

If one really were looking for larger RAS, the place is the used market; they really don't bring top dollar. Of course, you'll generally need

3-phase power or a converter; very few industrial will have single-phase motors just as most Unisaurs or PM66 or other gear from such sites will be. Still, for equivalent $$ one can get a lot of machine.

What I still covet is a 16" or larger Crescent or similar old jointer; I just don't do enough work to justify it any longer. A local shop in Lynchburg would give us evening/night access to theirs...what a joy to surface an old 3x12 or such salvaged old-growth beam in a single pass on the way to turning it into panels or other architectural details...

--

Reply to
dpb

I, for one, just love old timber wood and water-logged salvaged wood. This link might interest you.

Robatoy

On 8/10/2011 2:28 PM, Robatoy wrote: ...

In the US SE there's quite a lot of cypress and SYP being reclaimed the same way; lesser amounts of other hardwoods (obviously, given the indigenous species).

It just pains me to the core to see old timbers go under the wrecking ball that are perfect inside needing only a little TLC to remove the foreign material and resurface or resaw... :(

Heck, I save every old tuba-X from the old sheds and barn addition and everything else out here and will eventually use most of it somewhere...it's only 100 yr-old (roughly) SYP but there are 18- and

20-ft 2x6 w/o a knot or more than very small ones all over...

There are some more recent vintage (late-50s) 20- and even a couple of

24-ft 2x8 and 2x10 Doug fir joists in the haymow leftover from when we built the feedmill and associated bins into the loft. I can't imagine what one of those would cost at a lumber yard today if one could even find such a thing...

I'm not sure what I will do with them; I can't bring myself to cut them up... :)

I've a picture or two of the barn under construction just after WWI--the cost of the timber used for the scaffolding would cost more than a good sized house finished today, I'm sure... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

I saw a couple of old houses being demolished in Buffalo the other day. I was pleased to see how they were doing it. The organization is "Buffalo Reuse". See:

Nova

Some years ago (20+), I ran across a Worm Drive Saw at the Sears Outlet Store for a decent price (Maybe $69.00?). I'd never owned nor used one before and I've never bothered with my old circular saws since. It's always my first choice for framing, decking, etc. I put an 18-tooth blade on it to rip 2x6 girders out of some "cull" lumber

2x12's to build my new deck and, how do they say "like buddah!"

Of course Sears didn't make the saw. Looks just like the Milwaukee of the era. I suspect there are not too many manufacturers of this beast as all I've seen look pretty similar.

My two cents

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

"For any serious use, I don't see how a cordless can compete."

Second that! I got one from Sears in the C-3 series 19.2 Volt. Cross cutting trim - no problem, Riping - No Way. Cutting any distance in three quarter inch material - No Way. The damned thing lies to wander.

Great little trim saw (emphasis on "little," but not much more than a toy - albeit too sharp to give to a little kid!

Two more cents

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Climbing on the roof to cut that vent into the attic. That's the biggest thing I see for those things.

------------

"For any serious use, I don't see how a cordless can compete."

Second that! I got one from Sears in the C-3 series 19.2 Volt. Cross cutting trim - no problem, Riping - No Way. Cutting any distance in three quarter inch material - No Way. The damned thing lies to wander.

Great little trim saw (emphasis on "little," but not much more than a toy - albeit too sharp to give to a little kid!

Two more cents

Reply to
Josepi

I've seen radial arm saws that weren't aligned correctly, and that had missing guards. They ARE dangerous. It's all correctible, and I've corrected one or two.

Table saws, likewise.

Reply to
whit3rd

Was too young back then to have thought of their expedient... :) (or :( more like it) altho access would have a trick where the particular house was located w/ large equipment like shown there. But it's the trick for speeding up the demo but still have mostly salvageable stuff in the end. Hate to see the old plaster castings/carvings in ceilings, cornices, etc., get destroyed as well...

Reply to
dpb

On 8/10/2011 2:15 PM, dpb wrote: ...

_Just_KNEW_ shouldn't have mentioned that; that got me to drooling again...

I asked for a quote; we'll see what they say... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

When you see 3 belts driving a cutterhead, something serious is about to happen. The SIZE of that beast! So... they're going to ship it UPS?

Reply to
Robatoy

Yeah, they'll just load the UPS truck on the semi, no problem... :)

From FL out here will have to enter in to the picture for sure. I bought a JLG 40H 40-ft boom manlift the year came back to the farm owing to needing the reroof job on it and the house plus several other high jobs could see including trees. Broker was in FL while machine outside Chicago--he had arrangement w/ private trucking and guaranteed it for $600--ended up costing $800 but he kept his bargain. It weighed about

12k lb and took up most of the load; if they can find shared load one of these is probably about 2000lb and doesn't take up much space so shouldn't be _too_ bad but it's been a while since I've shipped something sizable; fuel surcharges have to be a factor.

I've not heard on this one; they sent a $3500 quote for a 12" Crescent w/ a "make an offer" disclaimer. I'm sure I'll manage to fight off the urge, but it's a temptation, sure... :)

BTW, they've a nice-looking 16" General up north closer to you; somebody has even retrofitted it for single-phase...

That'll prep some stock for the carver... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Awww maaaan..... they have CNC's too......

Reply to
Robatoy

Go for it...you know you _need_ it.

--