Christmas - What are you making as gifts ?

Let's hear your suggestions then

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I'm doing toys mainly. Will soon post some photos on apbw. Ducks an' elephants an' wagons an' airplanes an' an'... Gotta start on another doll cradle soon.

And one other item: a collapsible clothes rack for SIL. Maybe I can find that and photo it. Anybody else lose gifties that you make or buy ahead of time?

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I've got a couple of small walnut hall tables to do as gifts for two near/dear relatives. One of them is SWMBO's Uncle Teet and Aunt MaryAnn who, being instrumental in me scoring a couple hundred board feet of the finest black, Arkansas walnut for nothing, deserve my very best effort on their behalf.

I'll also probably do a few granite or marble trivets, as I've done in the past ... easy to make and folks seem to really like them. This year instead of oak, they'll be black walnut, obviously.

Reply to
Swingman

Hoping to make the mother-in-law a "now-playing" CD rack to hang next to her stereo.

Reply to
Daniel Grieves

I am making toy boats for the bathtub from dimensional pine for the kiddies. I am also turning Christmas ornaments, boxed in sets of three, for sale in my shop. Also, for winter, I am making a pine tree shaped snow depth indicator for the yard.

Reply to
Liam

Trivets Wood spatula Boxes.

Most young girls have 18" dolls so beds, table & chairs, high chair are appreciated.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

More carving than straight woodworking, as usual. A hand-done sign for my sister's new house, complete with birds and squirrels.

Several sets of chip-carved coasters.

Of course some silver-and-stone jewelry for my wife.

Perhaps some other stuff. I'm still making decisions.

--RC That which does not kill us makes us stronger. --Friedrich Nietzsche Never get your philosophy from some guy who ended up in the looney bin. -- Wiz Zumwalt

Reply to
rcook5

Last year I made a bunch of wine bottle holders to go with my homemade wine. REALLY quick and easy. Basically an 11 or so inch of ~1 x ~2 stock with both ends mitred at 45 degrees in the same direction, with a

1.25" hole drilled approximately an inch or two down from the top, parallel to the mitres. Here's a quick ASCII art of what it looks like from the side, with a bottle in it:
Reply to
John Girouard

I think I meant beveled... not mitred. They pretty much looked like what you see on this page:

John Girouard

For the LOML:

- set of 5 turned candlestick holders ranging in height from 7" to 13"

- a small display cabinet with a door (20"H x 4"W x 4"D) in the shape of a house. This will be hung on the wall. The cabinet has a base coat of cream coloured paint. I then put a top coat of blac acrylic. Before the top coat dried I incised a variety of patterns to show the base layer. This is sort of like what Mark del Guidice (sp?) does on some of his stuff--which my wife, Liz, loves.

- carving a 30" high chicken out of glued up walnut. Liz has a serious chicken fetish.

For friends I'm turning bottle stoppers.

David

Reply to
David E. Penner

David, I'm curious about your choice of walnut here. I don't think of this as a 'carving' wood (or a 'chicken' wood for that matter). Why walnut?

I'm not a carver (yet anyway) so maybe walnut is a great wood to carve. Just curious and interested to learn.

TWS

Reply to
TWS

Walnut is a great wood to carve - one of the best, even better than lime (well, for European versions of both timbers)

It doesn't strike me as particularly "chickeny" either - but then, what would you use ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

What do your friends and family want for Christmas? Find out here.

What do you want them to get you? Let them know the same way.

Get the gifts you want this holiday season with the help of the Wish Zone!

for the shameless plug.

Reply to
Chris W

Andy Dingley did say:

I'm in a bandsaw and lathe mood lately so I'm making bandsawn jewelry boxes and various turned items such as boxes, wine stoppers, etc.

Reply to
WoodMangler

M&M/Gumball machines (like the ones posted here a while ago) for the kids in the neighborhood (6 on my block).

Some nice boxes for their parents. (picked up Doug Stowes boxes book - some great ideas in there)

Been doing it for our neighbors since we moved in 3 years ago. Started w/ nice cutting boards - last year were pen sets. Already have gotten hints from the neighbors that they cant see wait to see what santa brings them this year.

What just kills me is when they say - "you really made this?"

Happy holidays

Reply to
Rob V

American walnut isn't too bad to carve. You do have to watch out for knots. As for the choice of walnut for this project. Well, I had a lot of thick stock around and I like the look of garnet shellaced and polished walnut.

Although I like some realisitic sculpture, it's not the mode I work in. This chicken is, for lack of a better word, stylized -- it looks chicken-like.

David

Reply to
David E. Penner

"Christmas - What are you making as gifts ?"

me... lots of payments. Many of the people I deal with are more about glitz and glam than a good hand fashioned item. *sigh*

Reply to
Chris Hornberger

Boxes lots of boxes, jewellry boxes for the girls and keepsake boxes for the guys.

Rick

Reply to
RKG

Basswood carves really nicely, and it's a little more chicken-colored. But heck, why not walnut? After all, chickens aren't made of wood either! Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

I need to make a TV cabinet and a stand for a stereo for my In-laws. They want them separate, and the TV should be lower than the 17" table that it is currently on. But they want the TV "enclosed" or have a shelf over the top they can set "articles" on. My clincher is that it needs to be in a Mission style to match other furniture. I was commissioned last summer, but I've dragged my feet. I must do it, because my garage is full of "home sawed" lumber from their land, costing me almost nothing.

Reply to
ToolMiser