Chick Songs That I Like Singing

Page 2 of 3

Ay caramba! After reading all the replies, I had to put Thorogood's "Bad To The Bone" on, have a Snickers, and tear out some chest hair.
Tom Flyer

I lick, I mean like Evanescence and No Doubt. When I need to clear my palate I switch to Lynyrd Skynyrd or Stevie Ray Vaughn.
Tom Watson wrote: | Was listening to Joni tonight and singing along to Carey, and it | made me think about the chick songs that I like singing to.
Look what they've done to my song, Ma...
Tom Watson wrote:

"Here's To Life" by the late, incomparable Shirley Horn. "Middle Age Blues" by Saphire, the Uppity Blues Women Anything at all--anything--by Ella Fitzgerald "God Bless the Child" by Billie Holiday

I really like Ella's version of "Miss Otis Regrets"
> Anything at all--anything--by Ella Fitzgerald
The only time in my life I have ever bought a ticket from a scalper was to see Ella along with Joe Pas at the Hollywood bowl.
As far as I know, it was her last concert.
Lew
Bob Schmall wrote:

K.Battle or C. Bartoli or EmmyLou Harris (take a listen to "To Daddy") or Kitty Wells and last but certainly not least: Patsy Cline.
    oh yeah,     jo4hn

That was and is Cyndi Lauper, she's not only still around, she's still making records.

She's still around too, Sheryl Crow. Used to sing backup for Prince and Bob Dylan, taught music to kids for a while too. Multi Grammy winner, was engaged to cyclist Lance Armstrong , surviving breast cancer and still singing and recording.
John E.
jo4hn wrote:

Sarah and Patsy I know. Diana I'm learning. Problem is, I wear heavy-duty hearing aids and can't appreciate the technical/artistic side of music. I go for mood, texture, emotion--but that's what art is supposed to do, eh? Everything else is just rationalization. Discuss: is art manipulative?
Bob

"Art is not a mirror held up to reality, but a hammer with which to shape it". Berthold Brecht (also attributed to Vladimir Mayakovsky). Tom

Good songs. You should add these to your list: Someday by Johnette Napolitano of Concrete Blonde Candy by Natalie Merchant of Ten Thousand Maniacs I Can't Make You Love Me by Bonnie Raitt Both Sides Now by Judy Collins Send in the Clowns by Judy Collins Brass in Pocket by Chrisie Hynde of the Pretenders Landslide by Fleetwood Mac Feelin' the Same Way by Nora Jones Chuck E.'s in Love by Rickie Lee Jones Leaving Las Vegas by Sheryl Crowe It Hurt So Bad by Susan Tedeski Fast Car by Tracy Chapman
On Feb 14, 8:45 am, "Never Enough Money"

OK, now I like that list. And a lot more titles from those ladies, too.
So check out
What Are You Doing For The Rest Of Your Life? by Dusty Springfield. Yup she's still with us, and that is her voice from a live club date that you hear on one of the diamond commercials on TV.
And just about anything by Diane Schuur, but especially "Teach Me Tonight"
As a matter of fact, I hope to be listening to them and others tonight with SO.
Robert

I like Dusty and I'll check out Diane Schuur.
Another one I like is Closer to Fine by the Indigo Girls.
On Feb 14, 10:48 am, "Never Enough Money"

Check out Diane's "Collection". Long a offbeat jazz staple, she has her own sound.

Yeah! Me too. I like a lot of the Indigo girls stuff.
Annnddddd...... who here remembers "The Joy of Cooking"? A precursor to the Indigo Girls, they had a pleasant and sunny sound and were popular in the early 70s.
Robert
Peggy Lee - Fever Bonny Rait - just about anything she sings Joplin - Piece of My Heart, Bobby McGee Martina McBride - Let Freedom Ring
Now back to The Band
And the early rapper - Phil Harris - Woodsman, Woodsman, Spare That Tree - just to keep things wood related.
charlie b
charlie b wrote:

Kristofferson's version. He is the composer.     waxing,     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

Sure - but Janis owns it.
RE: Subject
Anybody around here remember "the misty Miss Christy", June Christy, who fronted the Stan Kenton band for many years.
Julie London wasn't too shabby either.
Lew

Oh my. How about that.
Julie London can bring real heart palpitations with "My Funny Valentine".
And as for Stan Kenton, he was only about 25 years ahead of his time.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
> Julie London can bring real heart palpitations with "My Funny > Valentine".
Remember her testimony before a senate committee on obscene material when she did her rendition of "Mickey Mouse"?
never sounded soooo good.
Lew