Canada wins NAFTA ruling on softwood lumber

Page 3 of 3
C'mon, as a cheesehead you should know better. You _can't_ grow seedling conifers under mature, and if you thin them enough to get light to the ground, the big ones blow over. That's why they're clear-cut. Fire used to take care of the problem by clearing areas - to the ground - which it sweetened with ashes enough for new growth. Anyone with sense can see that the only difference between that and clear-cutting, then spreading lime to sweeten the acid soil, is that you get to use the wood.
I'm next door, and we're harvesting at touch less than half the rate of growth, and then only because of private landowners. The state and national forests are harvested at around a third and slowing, because of agitation for roadless initiatives and wilderness set-asides, not to mention my favorite, the "wild and scenic rivers " initiative which would have locked up a bit over twenty on my place. Public hearings were held 400 miles away, by a group of government officials and environmentalists. Landowners were allowed up to three minutes to address this unbiased group, even though they were the ones who would bear the taking. Fortunately the initiator was defeated in his downstate district, though not over a measure which was popular among all those who would not have been affected.
Oh yes, the construction lumber mill up the road, which sawed softwood equal in every way to the Canadian, went under recently because it couldn't get a guaranteed supply.

tomatoes-www.seedsavers.org or www.tomatofest.com . I think there's a retail place for southwest seeds as well...
Amen!
Schroeder