MDF vs softwood

Given that MDF doesnt cup and bow like softwood (particularly cheaper softwood that hasnt been handled properly), what are the disadvantages of using it for skirtings an mouldings over normal wood? Is it less resistant to knocks etc. on external corners for e.g.?? Cheers!

Reply to
Richard

IMO, too soft, and if it gets wet, it is knackered. I had to have a look at a shower that was 'sagging' recently, the fitter had rested the tray on 18mm MDF. The shower had leaked, the MDF had turned into cardboard, and the shower tray stated to lean into that corner. If it isnt going to be knocked, or get damp, them it is fine for light usage. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Less (or no) resistance to water so not ideal if the floor's going to get wet.

Possibly a bit less resistant to knocks than softwood? Dunno. Anyway, I use it a lot for skirtings. Also comes already primed, so if you've got a lot to fit, that's one less coat of paint to apply!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Its not soft at all. Its harder than pine for sure.

Doesn't take well to being soaked, but not a lot does.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Only down side for use as skirtings is you couldn't really stain and varnish it. (Rather drab grain!).

Reply to
m1ss_wh1te

I made a new cupboard door with MDF and varnished it afterwards. It came up better than the actual pine pacings that were varnished.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Mines been down 8 years & I've not noticed any 'dongs' anywhere - and thats with a roller skating granddaughter around twice a week.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks all - just wanted to check there was no real downside to the stuff.

Reply to
Richard

Protect yourself against the dust by wearing a particle filter mask when cutting it - if I recall correctly, the dust can cause health problems (I read the warnings some years ago) and to refresh my old brain, I did a quick 'google' came up with the following:

BRG