Canada goose, off subject

Could be. If so, I wonder if he'll show up for work any better than he has in the past?

Dave "Then again, in his case, absence is preferable..." Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Here in Rochester, where we have a flock of over 35,000 Giant Canada Geese, you can walk right up to them in the city and you can't get within a hundred yards of the same geese out in the country where the hunting is legal.

And they know exactly where the line is, and fly about 100 yards inside it. There is a story here about a guy who lured one into his car down by the town lake (silver lake) with some corn. Had the idea to drive it to his house for dinner. Bad idea.

del cecchi

Reply to
Del Cecchi

Probably as good a chance as Bush (tho that would not be much of an accomplishment).

Reply to
GregP

I guess he figgered that if Cheney and his buddy Scalia could do it, he was allowed to as well. I didn't know that game farms were restricted to neos.

Reply to
GregP

Yeah, because of course Bush can't work while at Camp David, right? Where senate business, well, when your job is to go to meetings and to vote on stuff, that's pretty much a one-location thing, innit.

Apples and oranges, Greg, and you know it (or you should).

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Of course they're edible. I would imagine that most folks don't eat them for thanksgiving because if you don't shoot your own, they're pretty expensive. I know around here, Turkey gets as low as $.16 a pound, but a whole goose stays right around $60.

Are they edible, sheesh. Didn't you ever read "A Christmas Carol"? :) Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Hang them upside down and let them bleed out right away, then get the butchering done as soon as possible. The longer it sits, the gameier it is, especially if you hang it by the neck and don't bleed it out. It's also a good idea to hunt near cornfields if you don't like the gamey taste.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

God, you're making me sick. There are about a dozen of these SOBs eating grass on my front yard and I don't have a goose permit. (Neighbors might not be too impressed either). Yes, they are good to eat.

bob g.

Prometheus wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

Had a polite "argument" with a fellow the other day. I didn't want to offend but he was stating that wild turkeys don't have white meat, taste gamey, etc. Look, I have acquired and my wife has cooked these devils so I'm not speculating. The only discernible difference between a wild turkey and and a domestic butter ball is the length of the legs. Those drumsticks will stick out of your roasting pan unless it's one hell of a big one. The bird would not be distinguished from a domestic by your "critical diner"

bob g.

Prometheus wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

ooh eee. Taste like mud, just like ducks. Unless you smoke them and eat them with sesame seed and mustard, ahh, great.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

...and just about as greasy as a javelina - yuck

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:52:26 -0600, Robert Galloway calmly ranted:

Lee Valley sells an infrared sensor which hooks to the sprinkler so it sets the thing going when it senses movement with heat. I wonder if they'd just think it was a shower or if it would send them flying. It's meant for use with dogs, but who knows?

seach for "sensor" and click on the Motion Activated Sprinkler. $65 (Ouch!)

------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - *

Larry Jaques

You think you have it bad? Try going down to Toronto Island. There's geese and goose sh*t every two feet. I used to go down there with friends and a few beer to picnic. It's a waste of time now. Those damn birds will walk right up and steal your burger if you're not holding onto it tight enough. Not too long ago, I read about a US city on their side of the lake that killed a lot of them off and fed the homeless. I wish they'd do something like that up here. There would be enough cooked goose to feed some thousands of people.

Reply to
Upscale

Article in the local paper two nights ago about the increase in vehicle-turkey collisions. They dismissed them lightly, but twenty pounds of bird can take out a thousand dollars worth of plastic grille easily. Consolation prize isn't worth it.

Reply to
George

Can any of them say "Aflac"? You could make a fortune ...

Reply to
Swingman

There are no plastic grilles worth a thousand dollars. Admittedly some of them might cost that much,

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I think that was here in Milwaukee. Gives certain liberals the twitches to combine hunting, with feeding the less fortunate. But, it's all for the better for all concerned except those who can't mentally reconcile the two, so it's a good thing far as I'm concerned.

There's also a "donate your venison to feed the poor" thing going on as well, but some of the people have refused perfectly good meat. Whatever...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Only if you make 'em wrong. Hint: vertical rather than horizontal.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The schools with large grounds locally were complaining about the fouling and health risks, so some public spirited shooters offered their services (weekends only when schools closed), the bums rush they got would have made your head spin. Then the local councillors tried to make the pests protected!

Reply to
Badger

But just think, it's the excuse you always needed to make a new grille out of exotic hardwood...