Canada goose, off subject

Page 2 of 3
Had a polite "argument" with a fellow the other day. I didn't want to offend but he was stating that wild turkeys don't have white meat, taste gamey, etc. Look, I have acquired and my wife has cooked these devils so I'm not speculating. The only discernible difference between a wild turkey and and a domestic butter ball is the length of the legs. Those drumsticks will stick out of your roasting pan unless it's one hell of a big one. The bird would not be distinguished from a domestic by your "critical diner"
bob g.
Prometheus wrote:

Article in the local paper two nights ago about the increase in vehicle-turkey collisions. They dismissed them lightly, but twenty pounds of bird can take out a thousand dollars worth of plastic grille easily. Consolation prize isn't worth it.

There are no plastic grilles worth a thousand dollars. Admittedly some of them might cost that much,

But just think, it's the excuse you always needed to make a new grille out of exotic hardwood...

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Canada goose is VERY edible and I DID have it this year for Thanksgiving at our hunt camp...moose hunting that is. (For my American friends, Thankgiving is always the second Monday of October here in Canada) Goose breasts are great, not to mention goose sausage. If you get the larger ones then you can't beat a roast goose. Sorry Morris but your in -house culinary expert needs to go back to school ;0) That is true for farm raised. Anyone who says that duck/goose is too greasy has never had WILD duck/goose. In fact it is very dry like most wild game. When I roast duck, I always add a couple strips of bacon. Here a quick recipe for goose breasts: butterfly cut a couple of goose breasts (they are rather thick) take the stuffing meat from sweet Italian sausage and rap the breasts around it. Rap each with a couple of strips of bacon and secure with a tooth pick. In a heavy fry pan, fry the breasts until brown. Add a bottle of tomato/basil salad dressing and simmer on low for about an hour. Serve with rice. mmmmmmmmmm.
"Keep your stick on the ice" Tony Ontario
Mike Hide wrote:

Bagging geese where I grew up was sort of like picking dandelions. They presented themselves to you in the 10's of thousands.
JK

I think the secret service would go after you if you shot him. Further I doubt that Kerry would be good too eat.

I think that costume party he participated in contributed to his downfall. He came across as an empty suit on several fronts. He tried to convince sportsmen he was a sportsman wearing ill-fitting camo and looking very awkward with the gun. He tried to convince the southerners he was a NASCAR fan, not for a moment realizing NASCAR is a religion in the south. He tried to convince farmers and ranchers he was behind them all the way - they knew in an instating that the privileged boy from Massachusetts had no clue. In doing all of this he lost the votes of the bread and butter moral Christians.

Mmmmm.......Not quite. Urban geese are pretty tame but the police don't like shotguns in the city parks. Actully goose hunting involves getting up way before dawn, dressing warm and sitting in a blind or boat before the sun rises. It also involves a fairly good investment in time and equipment.

Very edible. In fact some of the geese who migrate through the midwest tend to hang around. This means they get a fair amount of their diet from grain. Very tasty and yes many people do enjoy them for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Sunday dinners.
Plentiful? Bring a semi to Wichita, Ks and I am sure the city fathers would be glad to send a few thousand home with you.

He was at a game farm (tame birds). About as much "hunting" as going out to the henhouse and shooting one of the brood hens.

You're joking, right? They're _very_ edible, delicious even. Had one for thanksgiving a couple years back. Much more lean than a commercial turkey, darker meat, but _awesome_ with a cranberry dressing.
You can serve them on a wooden platter.
Dave Hinz

I guess he figgered that if Cheney and his buddy Scalia could do it, he was allowed to as well. I didn't know that game farms were restricted to neos.

Of course they're edible. I would imagine that most folks don't eat them for thanksgiving because if you don't shoot your own, they're pretty expensive. I know around here, Turkey gets as low as $.16 a pound, but a whole goose stays right around $60.
Are they edible, sheesh. Didn't you ever read "A Christmas Carol"? :) Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
God, you're making me sick. There are about a dozen of these SOBs eating grass on my front yard and I don't have a goose permit. (Neighbors might not be too impressed either). Yes, they are good to eat.
bob g.
Prometheus wrote:

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:52:26 -0600, Robert Galloway

Lee Valley sells an infrared sensor which hooks to the sprinkler so it sets the thing going when it senses movement with heat. I wonder if they'd just think it was a shower or if it would send them flying. It's meant for use with dogs, but who knows?
www.leevalley.com seach for "sensor" and click on the Motion Activated Sprinkler. $65 (Ouch!)
------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------
Tongue in cheek if I seemed to be complaining about their eating the grass. My only complaint would be that I can't harvest one for the table after feeding them all year. I like them (on the table), may be an acquired taste. I also love to watch them on the lawn and crossing the street with their brood of hatchlings in the spring.
bob g.
Larry Jaques wrote:

You think you have it bad? Try going down to Toronto Island. There's geese and goose sh*t every two feet. I used to go down there with friends and a few beer to picnic. It's a waste of time now. Those damn birds will walk right up and steal your burger if you're not holding onto it tight enough. Not too long ago, I read about a US city on their side of the lake that killed a lot of them off and fed the homeless. I wish they'd do something like that up here. There would be enough cooked goose to feed some thousands of people.

I think that was here in Milwaukee. Gives certain liberals the twitches to combine hunting, with feeding the less fortunate. But, it's all for the better for all concerned except those who can't mentally reconcile the two, so it's a good thing far as I'm concerned.
There's also a "donate your venison to feed the poor" thing going on as well, but some of the people have refused perfectly good meat. Whatever...
Upscale wrote:

fouling and health risks, so some public spirited shooters offered their services (weekends only when schools closed), the bums rush they got would have made your head spin. Then the local councillors tried to make the pests protected!
"Robert Galloway" wrote in message ...

Can any of them say "Aflac"? You could make a fortune ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
Swingman wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 21:56:03 -0600, Robert Galloway

I've not heard of roast dog for Thanksgiving