Canada goose, off subject

I noticed Kerry shot a Canada goose, I thought you could practically walk up to them [IE no need for camouflage outfits].

That led me to wonder if they are edible, and if they are and they are so plentiful why we aren't eating them for thanksgiving ???

Reply to
Mike Hide

All we need up here is a cookie and a hammer!

Reply to
Brian Morris

My in-house culinary expert says that most people find geese too greasy (ditto for duck); and turkey less so. It isn't that goose isn't good tasting, it's just more work for the cook.

[I've only ever tried to roast turkey - never goose or duck.]
Reply to
Morris Dovey

I've certainly walked up very close to them.

I believe they are, but the taste is strongly influenced by what they've been eating and isn't something you'd eat from choice.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Canada goose is VERY edible and I DID have it this year for Thanksgiving at our hunt camp...moose hunting that is. (For my American friends, Thankgiving is always the second Monday of October here in Canada) Goose breasts are great, not to mention goose sausage. If you get the larger ones then you can't beat a roast goose. Sorry Morris but your in -house culinary expert needs to go back to school ;0) That is true for farm raised. Anyone who says that duck/goose is too greasy has never had WILD duck/goose. In fact it is very dry like most wild game. When I roast duck, I always add a couple strips of bacon. Here a quick recipe for goose breasts: butterfly cut a couple of goose breasts (they are rather thick) take the stuffing meat from sweet Italian sausage and rap the breasts around it. Rap each with a couple of strips of bacon and secure with a tooth pick. In a heavy fry pan, fry the breasts until brown. Add a bottle of tomato/basil salad dressing and simmer on low for about an hour. Serve with rice. mmmmmmmmmm.

"Keep your stick on the ice" Tony Ontario

Reply to
Tony Mo

Which down here on the Gulf Coast is generally grain like rice or soy beans, for they're hunted in those fields during migration. The wild Canadian's that migrate through here must not be the same species as in the more urban areas of the north that frequent parks and golf courses, because these are wild and wary fowl ... no way in hell would you "walk up" on them.

Like hell, you say ... the wild variety that migrate are very good to eat. They roast well, make a good gumbo, or my favorite way, 'chicken fry' the breast, much as you would venison backstrap. There is little "greasy" about a bird that flew 2000 miles to get here.

Obviously most folks who bring their meat home from the super market saran wrapped by someone else wouldn't have a clue how to prepare them, but I guarantee I'll take all anyone wants to give away ... and shame on them!

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote: snippage of feeding and migration habits

They tasted good enough when I hunted in MI. Clean them like ducks and go for broke.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Any cook who serves up a greasy goose needs to go back to school. That is like complaining that deer isn't fit to eat because it doesn't taste like beef and is too dry. And I'll choose the taste of wild goose over supermarket/factory chicken or turkey any day of the week. But then I am not a fan of fused chicken nuggets.

George Anderson

New Kentucky Chicken Rings, bet ya can't guess what part of the bird the little rings come from...

Reply to
George

Swingman responds:

At this stage of my life, I tend to prefer supermarket (well, butcher shop) meats, but at one time...Canada geese have become a damned nuisance in a lot of areas, but I think the original poster was aiming a shot at Kerry for hunting nearly tame animals. I've seen Canadas that you could walk close to, though the hissing is ferocious, and others that are beating wings quickly. It seems to me, that for hunting, you'd walk them up, or have a dog that will walk them up, then not take a shot until they're well on their way, so the job is not much different than duck hunting and quail hunting.

It would be nice if people would remember the election was over more than a week ago. Kerry lost. He is, or soon will be, completely out of office. Thus, it's rather pointless to keep poking at him.

Charlie Self "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln

Reply to
Charlie Self

They are wonderful eating. Some of the best IMHO.

Bagging geese where I grew up was sort of like picking dandelions. They presented themselves to you in the 10's of thousands.

JK

Reply to
James T. Kirby

I think the secret service would go after you if you shot him. Further I doubt that Kerry would be good too eat.

Reply to
Leon

I think that costume party he participated in contributed to his downfall. He came across as an empty suit on several fronts. He tried to convince sportsmen he was a sportsman wearing ill-fitting camo and looking very awkward with the gun. He tried to convince the southerners he was a NASCAR fan, not for a moment realizing NASCAR is a religion in the south. He tried to convince farmers and ranchers he was behind them all the way - they knew in an instating that the privileged boy from Massachusetts had no clue. In doing all of this he lost the votes of the bread and butter moral Christians.

Mmmmm.......Not quite. Urban geese are pretty tame but the police don't like shotguns in the city parks. Actully goose hunting involves getting up way before dawn, dressing warm and sitting in a blind or boat before the sun rises. It also involves a fairly good investment in time and equipment.

Very edible. In fact some of the geese who migrate through the midwest tend to hang around. This means they get a fair amount of their diet from grain. Very tasty and yes many people do enjoy them for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Sunday dinners.

Plentiful? Bring a semi to Wichita, Ks and I am sure the city fathers would be glad to send a few thousand home with you.

Reply to
RonB

Being raised on a farm, I know what a damned nuisance tame ducks and geese are, particularly when you have a back porch, or driveway, that they decide to frequent ... it being my almost daily task of spraying off said surfaces until I left home at 17.

There is apparently a sub-species of Canada Goose loosely called the "resident" variety that are larger than the ones that typically migrate to this area. These "resident" geese are basically non-migratory, and I believe it is this sub-species that most folks are talking about when the phrase "damned nuisance" is used in conjunction with "Canada Goose".

When hunting the migrating variety down here, we do so either laying on the ground, covered in white, in the middle of a "goose spread" (generally made up of a few decoys and hundreds of white rags), or in a camouflaged pit dug along a levee or rice field. Very uncomfortable hunting, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it two or three times a week during goose season when younger.

Although I occasionally miss the thrill of being in the middle of 50,000 geese landing around your spread on a freezing foggy morning, I no longer relish laying on the cold, wet ground at my age .. which is absolutely necessary to get anywhere within shotgun range of this migrating variety.

Reply to
Swingman

He was at a game farm (tame birds). About as much "hunting" as going out to the henhouse and shooting one of the brood hens.

You're joking, right? They're _very_ edible, delicious even. Had one for thanksgiving a couple years back. Much more lean than a commercial turkey, darker meat, but _awesome_ with a cranberry dressing.

You can serve them on a wooden platter.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 08:36:35 -0500, "George" calmly ranted:

I can't understand what people expect when they try venison or wild game birds. They say "Ooh, it's gamey." Well, DUH! That's the point! Bambi Flambé c'est magnifique!

I call those "Chicken McDog Nuts" People EAT those?

-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Good luck, Buddy.

Here in NE Ohio there is a deer problem in and around the Cuyohoga National park. People can't have gardens car strikes are very common. On the order of 4 or 5 a week. When Rut comes in you avoid the area.

THere is great resistance by some towards thinning the herds. Some dumbasses feed these woods rats because ... hell, who knows why. They think these things are Bambi? I guess they have no idea what happens if you get in the way of a Buck or between a Doe and it's fawn.

About Kerry in camo? I wondered what the hell he was doing, he looked like a frigging goofball.

I think he would have done better had he done 100 yard target with a 308.

Reply to
Mark

It's part of our "Blame Canada" program.

Reply to
igor

Wellll maybe. I was almost raised on deer meat. I hated it and it had a strong taste. After years of not eating it I was reintroduced to it and I got no gamey flavor at all. I think it has a lot to do with when the deer was shot, how it was processed, and how it was cooked. We shot all season long and the later in the season, the tougher the meat, We process the meat ourselves. Apparently there is a much better way than the way we did it. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

doesn't he have 2 years left on his senate term?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer