Building the spruce goose OT and revisited

I recall a guy named Mongo who hit the Wreck many years ago. IIRC, he and his brother were eccentric, supposedly very wealthy, and were wanting to build a wooden airplance much like Howard Hughes. Does anyone remember him and has anyone heard whether or not he did it? (or was he using David Eisen's Makita to make spam sausage?) LOL!

Jummy Minwax Mac

Reply to
Jimmy Mac

"Cosmo Lengro". His brother was Mongo. One had the impression that his other brothers were Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Zeppo.

Reply to
J. Clarke

All I know is what I find with Google. Search google groups finds a lot of messages ending in 1999. Doubt the Spruce Goose 2 ever flew.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Spruce Goose 1 barely flew.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Whenever anyone mentions the Spruce Goose, the discussion often ends up with the Mosquito RAF bomber. AKA as 'The Timber Terror' or 'The Wooden Wonder'. One of my all-time favourite aircraft and one of the reasons wood is my blood. (Those and the Morgan cars.) What you can't do with timber, ply, and canvas.

Angela bought me a nice coffee-table book all about Ford's history of 'Woody's' This one, although a Plymouth, is one of my favourite:

I digress. The Mosquito, equipped with 57 mm cannons , towards the end of the war, would even take out submarines. IMHO, de Havilland's best work (aside of course from the AVRO Arrow...damned politics...)

Reply to
Robatoy

By any chance, are you from Canada?

Reply to
JohnD

Give the winner here a banana!

Reply to
Robatoy

favourite:

>>> Anyway, I digress. The Mosquito, equipped with 57 mm cannons ,

I'm not and I agree. In "True North" the dog was named Diefenbaker. Terrible name for a dog.

But the Arrow was from Avro, not the DeHavilland. Not that it matters, they're all gone now.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Ah, I believe you mean "Due South"

Reply to
Frank Stutzman

You're right. At least I remembered that there was a direction in the title.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I loved that show, but wasn't it called "Due South"?

Reply to
B A R R Y

At least I didn't confuse it with "Northern Exposure".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Entirely wrong kind of dog for that name.

phorbin

Reply to
J. Clarke

Robatoy