Buying a bench grinder

What are some of the things one needs to consider when buying a bench grinder? I prefer not to spend a whole lot, I won't be doing any heavy fabrication or anything, just something for the shop for them odd sharpening or cutting jobs.
Thanks
Ken Adams wrote:

For sharpening, get a slow speed. 1725 rpm or slower. Most grinders at Sears and Home Depot are in the 3450rpm range.
I'm looking for a good 7 to 8" slow speed grinder too. I have two 12" 2hp 3phase grinders already. They are both pedestal grinders. They'll rough away a lot of material and never complain.
Apparently, the 7" radius wheel has the appropriate arc for sharpening. I have a lot of 8" wheels. I'm not sure how well they will work, but I do prefer them for their 1" width to most of what you can find on smaller grinders.
Woodcraft has a nice slow speed grinder on sale. It comes with white aluminum oxide wheels if I recall correctly. These are better for sharpening than the grey ones. It is eight inch. Be right back. Here it is: http://www.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family_idF05&mscssid 21B47A9AEB45E7B1414218E47DB930&Giftlse&GiftID=&URLCheck=1
Its an eight inch which uses 1" wide wheels. It comes equipped with two different grit white wheels and spins at 1725.
I might have to get one myself. You can pick up a grinder pedestal at Sears for about $30.00. Good luck and I look forward to more qualified responses.
Eric T
Sorry about the link last time. Cut it off after the family_idF05
Try this. http://www.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family_idF05
On 9 Dec 2004 16:46:46 -0800, "robdingnagian1"

Put it in brackets: <http://www.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family_idF05&mscssid 21B47A9AEB45E7B1414218E47DB930&Giftlse&GiftID=&URLCheck=1>
Barry
14 inch wheels are a little spendy, aren't they?

wrote in message

CW wrote:

Um, my faux pas. They would be real spendy considering they don't fit anything I have. However, they would last pretty much forever considering they would never be spinning and grinding. 7" diameter.
Eric T

They have that arc briefly, at least. Of course, so does the 8" once it's ground down. Makes no difference. What isn't there isn't there, only a bit deeper, and 6" wheels come 1" wide if you want 'em.

Those white soft-bond wheels will be 6" real soon, so plan on sharpening all your demanding bevels early, and then get a wheel with better bond.
What really counts, aside from the slower (safer to your edges) speed, is a smooth-running centered wheel and one of those neat Veritas toolrests, though you may have to elevate your grinder a bit to get full use of it.

Woodcraft has one on sale this month: $75 It's a nice slow-speed 8" grinder with white wheels. It's a good buy at $100.