Building with Hand Tools

Does anyone know of good resources, either Internet or books, where I can learn how to build furniture using only (or mostly) hand tools? TIA
Goodness, the list is long.....
First, get the to the Galoot site. This is where an international group of people who ejoy using, finding, and talking about hand tools gather. There are some people who make their living working with hand tools, and lots who are very high quality amateurs. The discussions and archives and pictures are a tremendous resource.
Lurk under the porch for a while, listen to the conversations, and then start asking for help and information. You'll be amazed at what you get.
URL is http://people.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswingle/archive/faq.html
Otherwise, get some good quality hand tools, learn how to sharpen, adjust and use them, and start making things. Start small, make your mistakes and keep going. It's a lovely way to work.
Old Guy

Old Guy wrote:

I'll be checking that site out myself, but I'd like to reinforce something in Old Guy's post.
There are a ton of techniques you can learn, from books, the Web, possibly from a friend, but nothing is going to encourage you more than learning how to sharpen tools. Especially hand tools. A lot of folks farm out sharpening of powertool edges, but hand tools lose their edges so fast, it's impractical to do so.
And nothing is more frustrating than a dull edge.
--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.

Many times when I've been using the hand saw I sharpened myself, I've felt like posting a gloat here that says "I have a sharp saw. I sharpened it myself." Boy is it an enjoyable tool now.
Puckdropper

Adam Cherbini's blog and magazine writings are always interesting to me. He uses zero power tools.
<http://www.popularwoodworking.com/blog3/
On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 19:12:35 -0800 (PST), Ben wrote:

You might check out the Roy Underhill's "The Woodwright's Shop" on tv. He uses only handtools, including a spring pole lathe.
S.
And he usually starts a project with a tree or log and goes from there to a finished project! I used to really like watching his program (pbs took it off in my area), but i dont think i would attempt some of the things he does...all with hand tools...no electrical powered tools of any kind.
Skip www.ShopFileR.com

Took it off in my area too... watch the 2006 season on the PBS site.
http://www.pbs.org/wws/schedule/26season_video.html

Here's a couple of books I have found to be helpful and intersting, on the topic of hand tools:
1)    Hand Tools -- Their Ways and Workings     Aldren A. Watson     ISBN: 1-55821-224-8     (Amazon.com product link shortened)95412607&sr=1-1
2)    Selecting and Using Hand Tools     The Editors of Fine Woodworking     ISBN: 1-56158-783-4     (Amazon.com product link shortened)95412802&sr=1-1
The illustrations in Watson's book are really great and help with understanding the bits being decribed about each of the various hand tools discussed. Each chapter in the book covers a specific type of hand tool. There's 31 chapters and they cover a wide range of tools.
Selecting and Using Hand Tools is a great collection of articles from the magazine Fine Woodworking and covers a number of different hand tools, but not as extensively as Watson's book. I found this book most helpful for learning how to sharpen and tune hand saws.

remove ".invalid".

Well, I joined the Galoot list and I'm ordering these books to start. Great info, all, thank you.
Look forward to seeing you there....
Old Guy
Ben schreef:

dvd's http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?catQ9 http://www.popularwoodworking.com/GeneralMenu http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog /