Brusso backstop hinges - any good ?

I have a project (cigar humidors) which needs high-quality hinge hardware with some sort of backstop. I can't use quadrant hinges here, because the design won't let me mortice the sides of the box. I don't even think I've got spec in there for a sliding stay type of lid stop.

So I'm wondering about the Brusso hinges, with a built in backstop. They're just like a normal brass butt hinge, but in thicker material and with a square corner to act as a stop.

I'm sure they're well enough made, but how good is the backstop? It's asking a lot to have a solid action when they've only got the thickness of the brass to act as a lever arm - are they convincing in use as hardware for high-ticket pieces ? Anyone used them ?

Also, does anyone have a UK source for Brusso ? Otherwise it;s Lee Valley and trans-pond shipping.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I have used them on jewelry boxes and found them to be excellent.

Rick

Andy D> I have a project (cigar humidors) which needs high-quality hinge

Reply to
Rick Stein

Reply to
Steve Williams

fly over and buy them in the LV shop.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You might try Shiners on Windmill street in London, good people to work with...mjh

Reply to
mike hide

Andy Dingley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hi Andy,

Yep, I've used Brusso several times in both the backstop and non-backstop versions. It's top quality hardware. The backstop seemed quite strong (I bet the screws or wood would give before the backstop did). They run about $20 a pair for me, so they are what I use when the cost isn't an object :-)

Regards, Nate

Reply to
Nate Perkins