Bosch palm router $99 a good price?

Amazon has it for $99 (free shipping with Amazon Prime): Bosch PR20EVSK Colt Palm Grip 5.6 Amp 1-Horsepower Fixed-Base Variable- Speed Router with Edge Guide

that a good price?

Reply to
Han

For $100. the Ridgid 2401 was rated a 'best buy' over the Bosch by FWW mag. Ridgid has a clear base and an led. Bosch has neither. Otherwise, specs are similar.

Reply to
tommyboy

Yes!

I really like my Bosch Colt ... having owned one since they hit the market.

The only con, IMO, is that it uses a single wrench and a push button lock system on the shaft, to change a bit. That can be exasperating (I often have to hold it between by knees and use both hands, one on the button while wielding the wrench, to get the bit loose).

That said, it is the most easily controlled, comfortable to use (and to use safely) router of the five or six I own, so the above is a small price to pay for those big pluses ... although I do turn the air blue on occasion when changing a bit.

Reply to
Swingman

But does it have the wide range of accessories that make the Bosch so useful?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Great bargain and grab one if you can They are $300 in OZ

Reply to
George W Frost

Swingman wrote in news:demdnXtIztGGNWXQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Thanks, Karl. I thought I remembered your gushing about it. But after "tommyboy" mentioned the Ridgid zrr2401, I looked that up (again), and really liked the LED and transparent base(s). So I ordered a reconditioned one from CPOProTools/CPORidgid. $82 delivered. I'll report on it after I try it out.

Reply to
Han

Amazon has it for $99 (free shipping with Amazon Prime): Bosch PR20EVSK Colt Palm Grip 5.6 Amp 1-Horsepower Fixed-Base Variable- Speed Router with Edge Guide

that a good price?

=======================

Did you really want to use a router without two hands to stabilize it?

I wouldn't be able to control it in certain applications

Reply to
Eric

giganews.com:

My experience with the Ridgid trim routers has been a bad one. Just didn't last. I bought the Colt and love it, a much more serious piece than those two #$%^& Ridgids. Having said that, I bought the Ridgid 2901 which is surprisingly good and a great deal with the two bases.

I'm with Swing in that ever since I bought that 1 HP(+) Bosch, I seem to use it a lot even though I haven't found the same issue with the bit changing procedure. (The air around here is somewhat blue-ish most of the time and it ain't lavender.)

Caveat: The body style of my two Ridgid trim routers doesn't look anything like the 2401 and were bought some 5 years ago. So my harsh evaluation may not be applicable, and I sure hope that my dislike doesn't apply to your purchase. I mean these two were awful. Keep us posted.

Reply to
Robatoy

One handed. I also use the Milwauke 2.25 HP one-handed. That's the whole point of those routers. Where did you get that 'two-handed' idea?

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news:ea00e52f-f404-4d47-bb12- snipped-for-privacy@j23g2000yqc.googlegroups.com:

I really liked the idea of an LED light and clear base plates. I think an LED didn't really exist on tools 5 years ago. FWW also rated this thing a best buy.

I WILL keep you guys up to date.

Reply to
Han

Amazon has it for $99 (free shipping with Amazon Prime): Bosch PR20EVSK Colt Palm Grip 5.6 Amp 1-Horsepower Fixed-Base Variable- Speed Router with Edge Guide

that a good price?

===============================

Seems to me this is the same model that Rocklers (NY) has at $119, regular price. I believe it is the unit that fits their new CNC machine.

Reply to
Eric

Depends on freight. I had not seen one for $99 before. When I added shipping to the price I found previously it was cheaper to buy them locally in the big box stores. $99 is a better price than I found for new units. I did find refurbs for 89-99 though. These are what I use for high speed spindles on my two mini CNC machines. They do a pretty good job, but I found runout varies router to router. They are all more consistent after my first bearing swap. The brushes from e-replacement parts seem to last longer too.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Here's one for one-quarter the price.

HeyBub

Sometimes I wonder about those comparative reviews, especially when the same model goes from the top of the pack to the bottom in one year as did a Bosch router I got a couple of years back. Did everyone else really make such huge improvements in their models that fast?

Reply to
DGDevin

================== Depends on freight. I had not seen one for $99 before. When I added shipping to the price I found previously it was cheaper to buy them locally in the big box stores. $99 is a better price than I found for new units. I did find refurbs for 89-99 though. These are what I use for high speed spindles on my two mini CNC machines. They do a pretty good job, but I found runout varies router to router. They are all more consistent after my first bearing swap. The brushes from e-replacement parts seem to last longer too.

I was looking at the CNC machine and the thing only takes that router. The collar looks like it would be a bitch to adapt to any other brand of router or model so it caught my eye as the same model in the store. The shipping would have been $0 at that point. I had it in my hand but have no use for a one hand router at this time.

The point of my comment was the $99 may be a decent deal but it doesn't run at the fictitious price of $199 or the claimed by some.

Reply to
Eric