Ping Bill, in Indiana; Anyone near Waverly, Ohio?

Bill, About a year ago, you asked us to evaluate a Craigslist or estate auction tablesaw. Did you ever find a table saw? If you are near enough to Waverly, Ohio, there may be a saw, here, within your price range:

side note (rant): This factory is obviously huge. It sure must have been quite a blow to the workers/community for it to shut down.... I suspect they are/have shut down. I have purchased a few items (woodworking tools, industrial upholstery sewing machine, hardware items) from this auction site. When I went to pick up my items, I spoke with the personnel at the facilities. The companies were not retooling, they were being bought out by Chinese based franchises.

Though I am retired, I am a certified upholsterer and many customers want the best built furniture. They are willing to pay for it, also. Most relatively new furniture, I've reupholstered, is foreign made and is really poor quality (frame material, foam, construction). For any of you looking to buy furniture, look into finding an old American made piece and have it reupholstered, rather than settling for this newer crap from overseas. Even the foam, in these overseas products, is inferior. I've replace lots of inferior foam from some of these, so called, "high end" recently purchased (overseas made) furniture pieces.

I really dislike seeing our American furniture companies (or any American company) disappear, this way.

Sorry for the rant, but some things just rub me the wrong way, sometimes.

Bill, despite someone's possible/probable job loss (relative to the link), I hope you can find a saw for yourself, if you haven't found one, already.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

open for a TS and it is very kind of you to remember my interest in one. I might have bought one by by now if I was caught-up with my shop renovations.

Like you, I too am saddened when I hear about factories closing as in this case. The people, the community, ... :(

In visiting the site you sent, I started getting exciting over the Delta Unisaws...then I noticed that they all appear to use 3-phase power (which in retrospect makes sense...). All things considered, I think that stops my further consideration of them. Still, thanks again for your thoughtfulness! I will keep your suggestions regarding upholstering in mind too as I have a "favorite couch" : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Lot 8072 is single phase:

haven't finished listing all the items to be sold. Lots 11000 -

11134 have yet to be listed. Might be another saw among these listings, also.

I didn't think to check all the motor specs. On my previous link, at the bottom of any page of listings, there is a "past featured auctions" link. Masco had a previous sale not long ago. You can check that past auction to see what other table saws sold for. When I clicked onto it, a moment ago, it was being updated.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

You can call Delta, give them the serial number and they can tell you how old that saw is.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Thanks for the tips. I tried dating one of the table saws yesterday using online resources, and failed.

The saw in your previous post looks great. I'll be watching! :) It's just 211 miles away.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" wrote

I consider myself be to fairly sophisticated. But even I have never dated a table saw. I have fondled a few, but never a formal date.

(Just goes to show what kind of trouble I get into all the time by being some damn literal.)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I've known plenty of woman that ran like SawStops... ; )

Reply to
Bill

Just turn it on and stick it in, Mr. Liberal. It'll show you a good time. No formal date is necessary for it to ravish you.

-- Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh, "liTeral". Never mind.

-- Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think that black tube that runs behind the saw is part of overhead dust collection (do you think that is correct?). What would the "control panel" that is attached to it be for?

BTW, the price went to $400 since yesterday (without any help from me), and thee is still about 9 days to go... Spent several hours trying to learn more about the saw--the saw part is 456 pounds (lol) ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

That black pipe is the over arm blade guard support (see the listed amenities) and they are often, at least part of, the dust collection feature, as you surmised. Many saws have that kind of blade guard attachment, rather than the blade guard attached to the table top, behind the blade.

I don't see a control panel on the arm guard. I see a tool rest/cage- type thing. Other than that, I see a valve, for adjusting the dust collection. The dust ducts, for overhead collection, have, apparently, been detached from the saw.

Expect the price to reach $600. I doubt you will find a good used Unisaw, anywhere, for less than that. It's a good idea to add the 10% auctioneers fee and your travel costs, in determining the max amount you are willing to invest in the whole affair. If the bidding reaches $800, I would hesitate to bid further.... might as well buy a new saw for $1200 - $1400 (?). A new saw comes with a warranty and possibly a discounted (additional $, but w/ rebate) mobile base. *Ask if there's supposed to be a mobile base for that saw! ...Never can tell, maybe there's one hanging around (Not listed on the manifest, but originally party to the saw) waiting to be remarried.

Call or email the IRS site's contact person and they can give you the Waverly contact person, to get specific info about the item. Should you bid and win, make copies of the posted pics, of the saw, before going pick it up. You want to make sure everything pictured remains intact. If you bid and win, bring tools to disassemble the saw from the extension table and a dolly, just in case you have to load yourself. It'll be hard to load the whole, as is. If you bid and win, ask if they have the paperwork/invoice/instruction/users manual for the saw (in the administrative office, somewhere). Try to get those items, also, if available, while the getting is good. If the saw is not too old, there may be some warrranty remaining.

That IRS link has many other sales. Every now and then a pretty good deal, or 2, comes along. You just have to be patient. If not this sale, I hope you can eventually find a good saw and nearer to you.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Thank you, there is a lot of good information in your post! You answered some of the questions I had, and then some!

I assume a dolly and a rental truck w/a lift gate is the right mechanism to move and transport a saw like this. Never having used a lift gate before, I wasn't sure how big of a support area a lift gate had. Hopefully the transportation costs won't be truly excessive--I'll investigate that next.

Thank you for giving your perspective on price estimates too. Your estimate of a new saw at about $1400 was not far off since I was considering the Grizzly G691.

I finished putting my DP together last night (the time consuming part of that was "over-building" a baseboard with wheels and legs and taking it as an opportunity to practice with my router). I found a good deal on a

14" Delta band saw on clearance a number of months ago. I'll start assembling that today. With these big boxes off of the ground it will be a lot easier to move a TS in. Your timing in making the Wreck readers aware of this auction worked out perfect for me! I need to go check to see if anyone else has bid on the saw since yesterday...

Bill

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" wrote

In visiting the site you sent, I started getting exciting over the Delta Unisaws...then I noticed that they all appear to use 3-phase power (which in retrospect makes sense...). All things considered, I think that stops my further consideration of them. Still, thanks again for your thoughtfulness!

It could be worth getting one, if you were to sell the motor on it, and get a new single phase motor, or have a shop rewind yours, if you can find a shop. Saws like these are worth a good bit more than a newer lightweight.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

Thanks for the information Jim.

BTW, you were the person who "sold me" on the idea of building the DP base board with four 4" casters and legs a few months ago. It got finished this week and has a DP sitting on it. Building it taught me a lot of lessons and gave me some practice with my router. Are the casters likely to get a flat side if I let the DP rest on them for long?

I enjoy that I can move it effortlessly with one hand. Along with the baseboard I'm sure it is close to 300#. If it were to tip it is unlikely that I could catch it so I'm glad I don't have to move the DP with a dolly!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

How do you secure it once you get it situated, Bill?

I think you meant to say "hand truck", dincha? What you built was a dolly.

And while we're at it, one stands -on- a podium and -at/behind- a lectern.

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I worked in a furniture plant back in an earlier life, most of the table saws were set up to do a particular job and even though they may have sawn more lumber in a day than a cabinet shop or home user would put through it in a lifetime, the trunnions and gear drives on the adjustments would be like new even after many years of hard use.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Morgans gets most of the credit for giving me the idea. It has four 3

1/2" (3.75" long), 3/8" carriage bolts each of which screws into a threaded insert in the bottom of the frame/base. These allow the bolts to go 3" into the frame (twobafour). Since the bottom of the wheels extend about 1 1/4" below the frame, if the screws are tightened enough the unit stands on its wheels. If they are extended more than 1 1/4" then the unit will rest on the carriage bolts. I know you get the idea but I will post a picture after my wife "fixes" our camera.

I haven't actually tried resting the unit the carriage bolts yet. I had no difficulty testing the DP with the unit on wheels. The force of gravity along with the friction of the concrete floor is enough to keep the unit from moving. When I was finished I just moved it 6 feet off to the side, with ease, swept up, and moved it back just as easy! I under-estimated how much I would enjoy the ease of pushing it across the garage floor! I am still respectful of the fact that it could easily harm person or property if it fell over, so I don't want to suggest that I push or pull it around in a lackadaisical manner. When it finds it's place I will slide some wooden blocks underneath the frame for insurance (although this may be redundant because if a leg/bolt gives, it will fall to a wheel). Trust me that I'll try not to under-do it!

Type "appliance dolly" into a search engine and see what comes up! I'm sure you are correct. BTW, I like to think I built a "mobile base"! I forgot to try riding it down the driveway. :)

Didn't know that either! Gosh!

I'm on Day 2 of assembling the BS now. Day 1 involved assembling it's Delta mobile base, unpacking, cleaning and reading the directions. The BS assembly work for Day 2 is about to commence. I'm going to go check out the current price of the TS being auctioned that Sonny referred me to.. What is your summer project?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I surprised but pleased to learn that the wear from hard use is likely to be so minimal. Are arbor bearings likely to be in good shape too (I have no idea what's involved in replacing them)? I'm pretty sure that I won't do as much sawing in my lifetime as a factory saw could do in a long day.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

If you chose wisely, they won't get flats. The softer the worse.

Are the bolts long enough to double-nut and use a socket on an electric drill to run up and down? It'll save you a lot of time and hassle if you do it that way.

Well, looky there! They're selling mobile bases again.

of the knobs, double nuts would run those stop pad bolts down in under a minute.

I believe we can trust you on that.

I think that might have been fun, but the traffic would be hell, seein' as you didn't provide a hand brake on the thing.

It amazes me that 99% of people don't seem to know that difference or the one between dolly and hand truck.

DECLUTTERING the house and shop. I'm knee deep in paperwork and packratted items, so anything after that is gravy.

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Here's mine: I think I'll be ok.

There are probably a few things I would do differently the next time around. I learned a lot by doing the project. For instance, I learned that Brad point bits are great!

Bill

Reply to
Bill