Bit for candle hole

At one time a catalog carried a bit to dtill a tapered hole for candles. Any one know where to buy one?
Do know that it is quite easy to taper a spade bit to do the same task. Shorten/narrow the center point as you do it.

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:54:48 GMT, "George"
How does that work ? The spade bits I have use a spur on the "corner" to do almsot all of their cutting. The side is a scraper as best, and an unintentional one at that. If you taper a spade bit, then not only do you expect the sides to start cutting seriously, but you're also removing the spur.
My tapered bits (chairmaking) are spoon bits. Some are ancient, one is new. I think Lee Valley have them.
For candles I just use a parallel hole.
The whole action on a spade bit is more of a scrape than a cut, therefore you can modify them easily, as long as you replicate the relief on the sides. Sort of like a reamer in concept.
As the standard - if there is such a thing - candle is a 7/8 tapering to 3/4, you're not taking off much.

George wrote:

I modified a spade bit to drill pipe boles some years ago. Simply ground the corners and spurs (included only to reduce tearing under intended use) back to penny diameter. Rough bit of toolmaking, but it worked perfectly.
For a narrow taper bit, take care to prevent grabbing. Make sure the the workpiece is securely fixtured. Use slow rpms, easy, slow, bumping feed to clear chips. A spot of wax is helpful to reduce chatter if compatible with finish.
A long shank will whip under working load. Cut back to ~1".

: At one time a catalog carried a bit to dtill a tapered hole for candles. : Any one know where to buy one? : : http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/search.exe
search on candle bit
: At one time a catalog carried a bit to dtill a tapered hole for candles. : Any one know where to buy one? : : Here;s the url that gets you to the page http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM -600
says...

Other posters have addressed where to find the bit you seek. My technique of handling candles is a bit different. Instead of a tapered hole I epoxy a small brad, point up at the bottom of the hole.
(Quick drawing, use non-proportional font) --+ +-- | | | | | | | | | ^ | | | | | +-----------+
The brad sticks up about 3/8" and sticks into the base of the candle. This has satisfactorily addressed the chronically-undersized candle problem that we seem to have locally. :-)
--
http://www.frii.com/~charlesj/woodworking