spade bit V hole saw

Just idly musing last night; I could figure out why use a normal drill bit, but what to do for the larger diameters.

When would you use a spade bit rather than a hole saw?

E.G. if you had to make a 20mm hole why would you use a 20mm Dia spade bit rather than a 20mm Dia hole saw, and vice-versa?

Reply to
soup

This compares spade bits to other types of wood drilling bits, including hole saws:

The main reasons for using spade bits seem to be price and speed, which probably makes them attractive in commercial operations.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

If you wanted a deeper hole. Hole saws as used by amateurs are usually no more than about 5 cm long. Some might do 8 cm. A 20 mm spade bit could make a hole of 10 or 12 cm. Conversely, AFAIAA, spade bits are only for wood. Hole saws can do metal or hard stone, particularly if diamond-tipped.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

For drilling a 20mm hole in wood, I wouldn't use either - I'd use an auger bit.

Reply to
Roger Mills

When would you use a spade bit/hole saw?

Reply to
soup

They are good for flat bottom stopped holes, but there are better tools for most applications.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Flat bottom? All spade bits I have ever seen have a 'pointy bit at the front' surely if you drill a stopped hole with these you will get a large spiky hole in the middle.

Reply to
soup

So long as it does not penetrate right though the wood, that usually is not a problem.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I use a hole saw for cutting fairly large holes in sheet material - such as cutting holes in ceilings for downlights.

I have in the past used spade bits for cutting cable holes through joists - but they cause a lot of vibration and don't make a very clean exit. I very much prefer an auger as long as there's enough room to be able to us it. In tight spaces I may occasionally use a spade bit, cut off short, in a right-angle drill.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Where possibly, as soon as the spike end appears through the far side, I swap to drilling from that side to leave it clean both sides.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Above a certain size, I switch to an adjustable thing like a double-ended tank-cutter.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Spade bits are cheap and somewhat disposable, and have an ability to drill non through holes, and also very deep holes (with extension bars, in excess of a metre is possible).

Hole saws convert less material to "dust" and are more "efficient" - especially in hard materials and metals where a spade bit is not much use. They are however harder to use, and slower - especially where you need to remove the plug of material from the saw after each hole. They are also more expensive.

So I would use a hole saw typically for larger diameters and in thin materials.

(one probably ought to include augers, expansive bits, forstner bits, annular cutters, tank cutters etc into consideration for larger holes - each have pros and cons)

Reply to
John Rumm

I have a box of "stubby" augers that work well for that... Also easier to drive in confined spaces since they pull themselves through without needing to apply pressure to the back of the drill.

Reply to
John Rumm