30mm Mixer Tap for small sink

Hi,

I'm struggling to find a new mixer tap for a small toilet cubicle sink. The sink originally had 2 taps, but I blanked one off on hole and used the other for th mixer. I originally installed a "Deva" (mini mono IIRC) mixer tap on one side, which I now want to change.

Can anyone recommend a model for a 30mm basin hole ? I'm struggling to find anything that size and hardly any web sites even seem to show the hole diameter of their taps, so I'm assuming most mixers are for a standard larger sized hole.

Also, please can someone tell me the correct technical term for a mixer that allows you to move the lever up and down for on/off and side to side for temperature ? My current mixer has a lever that you simply open and close, with the water temperature and flow rate being determined by how far you open it. I don't want that style of mixer again, but need to be sure I'm not inadvertently ordering one.

Thanks in advance for any pointers, or even advice in what I should try searching for.

c.

Reply to
cf-leeds

Are you sure that it's a 30mm hole? Most (bathroom) sinks with two holes are around 22mm, baths 28mm and most mixers require 32mm or above.

Reply to
alan_m

32mm should be 35mm
Reply to
alan_m

Just measured it again and using a tape measure, it seems to be 30mm.

FYI - This is an old Twyfors "Parmis" sink, which is wall recessed. I find plenty schematics on the web, but none of them details the hole size.

c.

Reply to
cf-leeds

An alternative is to fit an in-line thermostatic mixing valve and then feed that into a simple tap that the basin was designed for.

Like this one, but there are plenty of others around:

GB

Use a plastic back nut for taps, smooth out the treads a bit until a standard 25 mm tap fits, possibly round off the cornears and a standard tap will fit and be centred. A mixer tap might need some packing to be centred - I used some plastic pipe and cut it away so that it was the right size and >50% of the circumference of the hole. Everything has stayed in place fror about 3 years.

Reply to
PeterC

I'm not sure how this helps the OP. He has a 30mm diameter hole and most mixer taps require a hole of around 35mm diameter.

If he wants to fit a standard tap requiring a 22mm or 28mm hole try the Split Klick Washer Centralising Washer at approx £2 each

The hole in the centre is for a 1/2 inch tap thread, use a craft knife to cut around the moulding mark for a 3/4 inch tap thread. Although expensive for a nylon washer I highly recommend them for centring a tap in a slightly larger hole - once you have got the tapered lugs started in the underside of the hole you don't have to worry about trying to hold the body of the tap centrally looking from above whilst crawling about under the sink.

BES do them cheaper and also for two types of monoblock mixers, but possibly more expensive if you include postage for small orders.

I also recommend throwing away any plastic back nut that comes with a tap and buy a brass back nut. In my experience plastic back nuts can often jump back a thread when attempting that final tightening half turn. I wonder if this is why plumbers often use so much plumbers mate :)

Reply to
alan_m

Thanks all for the useful info. I like the mixer idea for the use of a standard tap. Just need to fond away to hide away the mixer unit now, but that seems like a relatively easy challenge. ;)

Reply to
cf-leeds

The terms "cloakroom mixer" or "mini basin mixer" seem get closer to what you need to look for.

Usually called "single leaver" - but you need to look carefully at the design to be sure.

Other options would be use a wall mount mixer and ignore the holes in the basin, or change the basin.

Reply to
John Rumm