Bigger Wheel for Roll-around sheet goods cart

Take a look on youtube for some that kids built using leaf blowers.

Reply to
Larry W

Ya, but think of the neighbors ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Shop Cart Curling!!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Alright.. so a little background on why as 20-sheet cart.

I wanted something I can slide a sheet out partially and have a look without re-arranging the entire stack. A few years back I found 10 birch-maple sheets for $20/each or so. Then there is the misc 10 others -- a few MDF, few 1/2, few OSB, cutoffs, etc. I wanted to be able to push the cart against the wall, but then pull it out, spin it around, etc, etch when chosing a sheet.

It's based on this one,

swapped out the pvc pipe with conduit pipe of smaller diameter (more ridigity with less diameter). moved the T-verticle supports about 24" in from each end, made the base 2' wide (as narrow as possible), and beefed up the internal bracing.

I wanted to conserve floor space, so I made the cart 2 foot wide. Less the 3.5" for T-support, less 2x3/4" for pipe verticals, less

2x1/2" on the outside, leaves about 18" of max useable deck space. So, in theory 24 sheets. If I used the extra 4 spacer conduit, that would consume another 4x3/4" for a min useable deck of 15". So about 20 sheets.
Reply to
woodchuck

I think what stymied him was when he -heated- the shop.

-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What about adding more 5" casters? I have a plenty -- I could add 4 more and further distribute the weight? The four now are located 48" apart , 2 foot from either end of the platform (where the T support fastens). Maybe I add one to each corner of the platform.

Reply to
woodchuck

Shop floor is concrete.

Reply to
woodchuck

If you have problems moving the cart straight ahead when all the casters are aligned in the same direction, then either the casters are overloaded or you need to eat some more to beef up as you don't have enough mass. The first scenario would benefit from extra wheels. Your wife will have input on the body mass thing.

If the problem pushing the cart around is primarily turning the cart when the wheels aren't aligned, more wheels may help or may hurt. Since you have plenty of casters, throw some more on as a test and find out if that helps or hurts.

RicodJour

It could help. Some of the problem is the squish of the tires, so either replace them with much harder tires (polyurethane is wonderful here, just don't use it for a finish ;) or add more squishies.

I use 5" casters by default and they allow me to roll over my air hose if need be, and to overcome debris on the floor (as if I'd ever let that happen in my shop...)

-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I used 2" dia.*steel* casters on mine. It rolls easily.

Max

I think these two 8" casters will do the job. I have 4 on a 1,500 lb (load, not weight) warehouse cart and they work swell:

HeyBub

The key to getting decent casters at HF is to hand pick them by checking how tight the bearing assembly is. Some are a lot tighter than others and the loose ones can loosen more under weight, making them difficult to turn. I've even had some lose their bearings, altogether.

Reply to
-MIKE-

You're talking to HeyBub about losing one's bearings? Now, that's funny!

RicodJour

Bigger tires have less trouble rolling over bumps, little bits of scrap, etc. 20" mountain bike wheels would be perfect.

They seem like they'd be well up to the task of hauling 20 sheets of 3/4 ply:

Ferd Farkel