Self-adhesive dust sheet on a roll?

A friend in Australia sent pictures of this plastic dust sheeting which apparently all the builders and decorators use. It comes on a 17m tear-off roll, ready edged with masking tape so it can be hung from eg the top of a door. Then the Z-folds drop out to cover a total height of

2.7m (also available in wider sizes). He says it's fantastic stuff and I can see why.

The pictures are of the refill (only "a coupla dollars") which is meant to drop into a metal tear-off dispenser.

Has anyone come across this in the UK?

Ian White

Lidl had it some time ago. Although not as 'wide' as 2.7m - more like a foot or so. Ideal for protecting wood floors when painting skirtings, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Ian White" wrote

plastering works - only slightly more effort if you are looking for alternatives.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Don't forget, ye can use newspaper if just painting ;-)

Adrian C

Might be worth knocking on the door of bed sales places, too - I kept the plastic wrapper that a recently-purchased mattress arrived in, and it's nice heavy-duty stuff for use as protective decorating sheet. For the last complete bed that we bought, the delivery folk took the packaging away with them, so presumably it all ends up in a skip at the back of the store...

Reply to
Jules

Googling for self adhesive dust sheet produces several possibles

variety of temporary protection things

floor protection

Not sure about the actual product you describe though

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I just buy a 50m roll of 2m or 4m polythene - cheap enough and more durable

Reply to
geoff

Despite screwfixes wobbly description :

similar but without the masking tape edge. Roll is about 50cm wide and folds out. Manually apply 50mm masking tape.

Adavantage of the folding out is it gets statically charged and clings to the surface you unfold it towards, would never go back to dustsheets.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Duh... missed a trick there. Normally I'm the first to mutter "GIFFS" about other people's postings, so I'd better own up!

Their adhesive products seem to be coated all over one side, while the Australian product only has adhesive along one edge and the rest unfolds as a plain drop sheet.

Thanks also to Adam for the pointer to Screwfix and the benefits of "static cling". As Adam implies, a very obviously brand-new dust sheet does help to impress the customers.

But for DIY I do agree about mattress covers and PE on the roll being perfectly adequate. Blue DPM is also good for heavy duty use.

Reply to
Ian White

Its only =A34.20 for 100 m2 so economic to use,screwfix also do a selfadhesive carpet protector, static cling really does make it an absolute treat to use, got the tip from a mate in car body shop they use similar for painting small sections cover the rest of car in this stuff, cling prevents overspray getting under masking. Just mask up whole room as one and then paint, saves ferking about dragging dust sheets about , when done whole lot goes in a bin bag. It is thin though so for heavy duty work blue DPM sounds good

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

You mean like this?

it is only 2.6m drop.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Thanks, that's a good local equivalent. Thanks also for the reminder about Decorating Direct.

It didn't ever seem likely that the idea would be unique to Australia. (Marsupial dust sheets... now there's a concept.)

Reply to
Ian White

I know this is not of much help, but B&Q *used* to sell it about five or ten years ago. I asked more recently (two years ago?) and they said they no longer stocked it. Maybe they or one of the other sheds has re-introduced it.

Reply to
Dave A