Drywall Self Adhesive Tape?

Is there Drywall self adhesive tape to put on drywall edges and seams. The drywall instructions on the web all say to apply the tape after the first coat of mud. Is this only for the seams? Would like to use some tape on the exposed drywall edges in my garage. Does not need to be perfect? Is there self adhesive tape I could use as well?

Reply to
Al Franz

For exposed edges you want something called J-bead (or J-channel). Its either metal or plastic and it slips onto the exposed end to protect it. It can be painted.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Hi Al,

You really need to get some additional information on drywalling...and I would suggest the Taunton Press books like , or something similar at your local library. With a quick google, there's things like this .

Basically you need to do addtional research, and while it's not easy, done right it can be rewarding when finished.

Good luck.

Reply to
DAC

Or even some scrap trim or some such. It's just a garage ;-)

The only "self-adhesive" drywall tape I'm aware of is fiberglass mesh. Which provides only crack resistance, and that only after it's been mudded. Some drywallers prefer it to the more usual paper tape, for the same applications (seams and sometimes inside corners).

I didn't bother doing anything with the edges of the drywall in my garage, but none of it is likely to get hit, so, it didn't need any.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

There is self-adhesive paper tape. Avoid it at all costs. It lifts. Trust me... Either straight-paper or mesh.

Reply to
Jack

And don't use the mesh on 'cut' seams. It is great on factory indented edges but on a butt seam (both edges cut) it is very difficult to cover with mud.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K