Best & Worst Customer Service Lists

Page 3 of 4

Agreed. I now have a two-year rule when it comes to technology. I don't buy anything that hasn't been out at least that long- sure, some technogeeks would cringe at my PIII processor, but it's screaming fast compared to the last computer I owned (a celeron 233) and I don't know a damn thing about how fast a 2.5Ghz processor is, so I can be perfectly content with this old dog. Still runs almost every peice of software around, and it cost me a grand total of $200.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
JC wrote:

The thing that I see missing there is the snail mail to Michael Dell,
"Dear Mr. Dell,
Enclosed please find a copy of my recent correspondence with your customer service department and a photo of my computer next to today's newspaper to demonstrate that I do indeed have it in my possession at this time. All I want is the WiFi card that, according to the order and the service tag, was in the machine, but which in fact was never provided. I will call your office on (date 7 business days after postmark of letter) to discuss this matter"
And the transcript of the phone call, in which you talked to Mr. Dell's secretary (in a company that size, the secretary is more in the nature of the Executive Officer on a warship--she or he is empowered to implement policy, including kicking ass and taking names, but not to create new policy) in which you reiterated the situation--since you enclosed a photo, the secretary will probably remember your letter, and in which the secretary agreed to "look into" the matter.
And the the result, whatever it might have been, of that "looking into". In my experience, the result is either whatever was expected with something added to sweeten the pot or a phone call from an obviously terrified customer service rep that will give you anything you want, possibly including a BJ, in order to be allowed to keep their job.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

And my experiences with them have been all positive as well. Used to have a couple hundred Dell PCs in a corporate environment, and a handful of personal machines. No problems.

Sounds like a true clusterfuck. I'm glad I switched over to Apple.
Dave Hinz wrote:

That was Corporate Customer Support. Dell outsourced them for a short while, then brought it back to the US. their large corporate customers wouldn't put up with offshore support. We regularly spend $5M a year with them for workstations and servers. Joe
JC says...

Agree Dell is awesomely bad. I didn't know a company could treat its customers the way I was. Long story, don't get me started...

Best
--
Lee Valley
McMaster-Carr

Okay, good point:
BEST Lee Valley- Everyone knows this, right? Great and helpful service. Going out of their way to help. No questions asked on returns- I have even returned stuff after months. Grizzly- Immediately respond to questions, sends replacements without fuss. Dito above. Lie-Neilsen- Personalized service : )
WORST General International- Ignored repeated emails for seven days, then- not only did they not apologize- they layed blame on me for not using telephone! Would not send missing parts on brand new tool(!), They market to home users, without adequate support. Bad all the way up... (took it to the Pres- no personal response, just more defensive posturing from an underling).
Milwaukee- Completely refused to honor their warranty on a brand new tool. Was mocked on the phone by customer service (no kidding!) when asking to speak with supervisor.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Pay with a charge card?
--
dadiOH
____________________________
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yup, I've heard this from enough people that I avoid them. Sarco is slow, but at least they're competant.
Best: Grizzly - Quick delivery even after backorder warnings. Sears - Not the finest grade of tools but they do provide service and parts for a long time. Jet/Powermatic - Released a very poor and inacurate manual on their model 45 jointer. BUT responded to complaint quickly and positively with promises to update. Also provided good tech support on JET lathe speed control problem - it worked.
Worst: Ryobi - They seem to be abandoning their customers to the aftermarket after relatively short time. Recenly saw my planer blades go from $19 to $70. No source but aftremarket.

Which Ryobi planer do you have? I was having trouble finding replacement blades for my model AP12 12 inch planer, and found that the Delta brand Cat 22-562 that I got from Lowe's fit just fine. The only differences I have observed is that the delta blades have 3 index holes where the factory blades had 2. All other dimensions are exactly the same within .001 on my calipers except overall length. the are 1 MM longer but still fit and turn cleanly
Only $24.95
Brian

Same machine and you had the same experience I did just this week. A fellow at HD was glad to let me open the package and stand there and measure the Delta blades. The Deltas fit fine. I almost had a heart event when I found out what the aftermarket blades cost.
BEST Jet - replaced my entire saw when signficant manufacturing flow discovered in sliding table. Paid for two people to deliver and set up replacement saw. In cooperation with excellent dealer - The cutting edge in Houston. Jet - sent replacement parts on drill press when manufacturing defect suspected - no questions asked. Jet - replaced belt with new design and no cost after warranty expired. Lee Valley - excellent - replaced defective veritas part purchased through local dealer, even though they did not handle original sale. Amazon - fast consistent internet purchasing and delivery. no hassle returns. Coastal tool - provided good, personalized precise advice on the phone and via email.
WORST Coastal tool - shipped order 7 days after they said it shipped with no communication about delay. shipped wrong parts for new Bosch jigsaw - provided replacement but never communicated that it was handled. I left information and they promised to look into it but never communicated back. 10 days later replacement part arrived (1 part to replace the 5 that I originally ordered). They are personal and well intended but I sense their business has outgrown their capability to keep up. Amazon has spoiled me with their flawless internet sales model and followup.
Bob Houston, Texas

The one time I had a problem with a Milwaukee tool, they took care of me right away without problem.

My experiences with Milwaukee have been stellar. Having said that, I'm also aware of the fact that ANY company can have a hiccup at some point.
Sweet Jesus add Sprint to that list of worst customer support ever.
I had a cell phone that kept thinking it was charging and then not charging, about 10 times a minute. The phone made a nice little beep every time a "connection" was made or broken. It sat on the counter of the Sprint store, beeping incessantly, for 2 hours before someone got to me to look at my phone. They took it in the back and said "see that green on the connection terminal?" "no." I replied. "Well, that green on the connection terminal is corrosion, which means that the warranty is void." Then the woman voided out my warranty and said "you can buy a new phone for $170 or you can add another line and get two "free" phones for $69.95."
After I informed her that $69.95 was not free, I said "well, since you just sat there and voided out my warranty, I'm gonna get a screw driver and take the damn thing appart and see if I can't fix it myself." I took it apart and cleared out a piece of sand or salt that was on the circuit board and the problem was fixed. There was no corrosion. Bastards.
Josh.

Hasn't Sprint always been a company without scruples? Weren't they one of the offenders in the slamming schemes years ago, or am I thinking of MCI? or both?
Dave
Josh wrote:

Worst
Anything with Wagner's name on it.