best wood?

Got some nice cooking pans, but the lids knobs are cracking up and need replacing, any recommendations for which wood would be best?
Niel.
It was somewhere outside Barstow when "njf>badger<"

Something pretty dense and not open-pored enough to absorb steam.
I'd use hornbeam, because I have two fallen trees of it, it's nice and dense and a lovely turning wood.
In the past I've also made little drawer knobs etc. from holly, ivy or box. For bigger pieces I've used offcuts of cherry (too small for anything else) or sycamore. If I were American I'd probably use maple too. I also like to turn yew, because I've always plenty of it going spare as narrow turning blanks.
--
Smert' spamionam

Lignum vitae. Hard, dense. Often used for shaft bearings in boats.
Not easy to find but available. For small pieces, check knife maker supply places.
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:38:53 +0000, "njf>badger<"

thw wood that matches your knife handles/kitchen trim/cutting boards/personal taste.