Best bang for ten bucks ...

Page 2 of 2
On 8/1/2012 8:49 PM, Artemus wrote:

I certainly applaud your ingenuity, but my "opinions" on this issue were formulated having done literally thousands of pocket holes for hundreds of face frames, and from what I see in the pictures, it is doubtful that your current iteration would work consistently enough for what I do for two reasons:
Two reference edges are ideal to keep the workpieces joined properly during the operation, one usually supplied by the work surface itself, and the other provided by the clamp, which the Rockler provides in spades.
Your current iteration does not provide that ability, although it could if you do as Mike suggested.
And, what I consider the insurmountable weak point of your design, having done that many pocket holes, and used many different clamping system when doing so, I still question whether a sufficient amount of clamping force to keep the pieces aligned when screwing them together can be appliqued using that type of clamp,
The Rockler uses a screw type mechanism, which provides a tremendous amount of clamping pressure.
Nicely done though, but for ten bucks I'd still opt for and buy the Rockler in a heartbeat rather than try to make one ... which and once again, and after all for the umpteenth time:
**_was the purpose of my original post_** :)
All that notwithstanding, and providing it works for you, well done!
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Thank you. Art

Just another reason why I wish the US border was a little closer. Anybody seen a supplier for these up in Canada?
C'mon guys ... the point of the PSA post is the ten buck price point being a 54% savings off the usual retail of a useful item.
Just holding the damned thing in your hand will convince you that it's worth ten bucks; and using as I described will convince you that it's well worth the normal retail price if you do a fair amount of pocket hole joinery.
As far as making one ... if I had to buy more than a few at retail, maybe. For ten bucks, no way in hell ...
If there's any doubt, check the prices on a suitable clamp that will exert the same necessary force, for starters.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

How about a thank you for the heads up. I ordered 2 online. 60 miles round trip into Seattle for me so $6.99 shipping is a no brainer. Out where I live in the foothills every peckerwood tourist drives 10-15 mph under the speed limit so I would just as soon stay off the road. I know I could build one but for $9.99 I have to ask why?
Mike M
On 7/31/2012 7:32 PM, Mike M wrote:

LOL ... precisely!
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/31/12 7:38 PM, Swingman wrote:

I built one and probably posted the pics, but that's when the thing was like 25 bucks.
--

-MIKE-

On 7/31/2012 8:50 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

IRC, it was closer to thirty, around 29.95, when it first came out.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/31/12 9:24 PM, Swingman wrote:

I think you're right.... and on sale for 19, maybe.
--

-MIKE-

I have enough real projects going that I wish I could solve more of them by throwing $10 at them.
Mike M
"Mike M" wrote:

---------------------------- Living 15 miles south of BumFuck has some costs along with the advantages.
Lew

I've been unimpressed by something's pricing and set out to build one of my own several times. Occasionally, it works great. 30 minutes in the shop and I've got a new tool/jig/whatever. More often than not, however, it works out that I spend more time and money trying to copy something than I would have if I had just bought the thing.
Never going to quit, however. The design part is fun and sometimes the greater understanding from attempting to build one helps when using the commercial version.
Still haven't decided if I want to copy the HF 1x30 belt sander to "improve" it... I have one, but it would be nice to have something that's easy to change belts on (that'll be the hardest part) and variable speed. Oh well, I've got other things to do.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 7/31/2012 9:34 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Agreed. But fun often has to take a back seat to meeting a deadline and paying the bills ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/31/2012 10:39 PM, Swingman wrote:

Agreed on both accounts.
Now does anyone know what issue the box joint jig that they sell plans to on the woodsmith site came from. The jig plans/parts have been out of stock... been so for a long time, maybe time to see if I can get a back issue to get the plan.
Cataract surgery went well yesterday, seeing things I haven't been able to see in a long time. But I am having some wierd vision coming and going, but also some peripheral that I am not used to. Feels wierd. It'll be a few days before I get in front of a saw.. Just not feeling confident yet. I'd like to get my vision stabilized or used to this new feeling.
On 8/1/2012 10:33 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

That's great news ... took me awhile just to get used to trifocals, so I can imagine the feeling.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

<redfaced grin>

Absolutely.
Nah. Just redesign the belt-changer for the existing sander. My Delter 1x30 is my most-used sander.
-- Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise. -- Margaret Atwood
On 7/31/2012 8:07 PM, Swingman wrote:

Interestingly, minutes before reading your initial post on this, I was reading a Rockler ad for this product and thought about getting it, then decided nah, I already have too much stuff I don't use/need.
Then, I read your post and said, what the heck, seemed like a good deal and I do like pocket joints. I went out and bought it, and a glue spreader. Both quality products and well worth the small price.
Thanks for the tip...
PS, I also bought a new CS, went with Makita 5007MG, not just on your advice though, I put it in my hand before buying it via the net. Your advice was in the mix though. It felt better than all the other saws, but I did want a laser light on the sucker... Oh well.
--
Jack
On 8/1/12 1:29 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:

It self-aligns and holds the seem together without letting it slip horizontally, much better than a pipe clamp. It also (especially with the slip-nut upgrade) is much, much quicker than a pipe wrench. This isn't a big deal if you have 4 pocket screws to drive, but if you have 25, 50, 250 and a deadline, this tool is invaluable and certainly *well* worth ten bucks.
--

-MIKE-