Baseboard moulding and rounded corners

I had a contractor drywall my basement. I had him put in rounded corners. I'd guess the diameter is about hal an inch, maybe a little more.

Now, I'm putting in the trim, i.e. moulding, along the floor. Seems I just can't get the measurements right. Are there some tricks I should know about?

I figured out that 22.5 degrees is the angle. I just can't seem to get good fits on the three pieces needed to do a corner.....

So far it looks like I'll be buying some caulk to hide my sloppy measurements.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

When I've trimmed to radiused plaster I've made up blocks a bit thicker than the base, with the radius on the back and a small chamfer on the front. They were also a bit higher than the base.

This looked pretty good.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret) Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

Tom Watson

if you think thats tricky just wait till you get to the shoe molding!!! where eye protection. hehehehe..... skeez

Reply to
skeezics

Reply to
user
22.5° should work and yes, there will be some caulking, so you definitely want it painted. Some suppliers have the rounded corner to match the base profile.
Reply to
Preston Andreas

"Preston Andreas" wrote in news:kUwTb.11756$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.texas.rr.com:

Last year I finished a friends basement for him. Walls, Sheetrock, Bathroom, closets, secret room with sliding bookcase for a door and all the trim moulding.

22.5 is the right angle. 18 guage brad nails and glue puts everything up. He hired someone to do the bullnose corner beads and do the mudding, taping and textureing.

Things I learned.

1) Watch out for metal bullnose. When using the air gun if you gun isn't aimed straight at the corner the brad sometimes deflects off the corner instead of going through. This causes it to curve out. If you fingers get too close the brad will go all the way through and stick out the top. Luckily it missed the nail and just tacked the finger in place. 2) Since all the corners are the same cut your self a lot of 1 inch long pieces cut at 22.5 at each end for the corners. It may be a little more or less than one inch. But it will be the same for every piece. 3) Watch out for moulding profiles. Sometime sticks of moulding have slightly different profiles. Sometimes it is because of batches. I have also seen the Borg put slightly different profiles in the wrong bin. 4) You get better as you go along. Always start in the least visible corners first. Do the closets and bathrooms before you dop the entrences. 5) Don't be afraid to throw a piece away. Moulding is cheep. You are going to have to live with it for years. 6) It never fits perfectly. You will need caulk. 7) Take the time to buid a really LONG miter saw stand. 8) Now is the time to invers in a really good 80 tooth blade.
Reply to
Joe Willmann

Go to home depot and see if they have rounded corners that match your moulding. I put in standard moulding in my recently finished basement (that had all rounded corners). HD did have the rounded corner moulding and it looks great.

-- Jim

Reply to
jegan