Re-skimming rounded Victorian wall-corners with wooden corner piece - remove?

Another question for you folks, if you don't mind. I'm currently having the plaster in my lounge re-skimmed as part of redecoration, and the plasterer has asked whether I want to retain the rounded cornering on the flue edges and the bay window corners, or replace them with modern metal cornering ready for skimming to a sharp corner.

Now, I appreciate the retention of classic features, but also understand the practicality of modern solutions. But would I be doing the house a disservice by replacing the wooden rounded cornering with metal cornering? Are the any structural improvements gained by using the modern cornering or is the rounded wooden cornering just fine? I've noticed the old plaster has began to crumble away in places at the corner around the wood, but would this happen again after re- skimming?

Would the wooden cornering have to removed completely or could the plasterer just put the metal cornering over the top and skim over that?

I'm inclined to just leave the wooden cornering in place and have the plasterer just skim over it and make a smooth corner as best he can - to retain the look and feel of the original shape, and keep it in character with other rooms with similar rounded corners. Any problems you foresee in doing this?

Again, any help gratefully received.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

Keep the round corner. The plaster may not stick too well to it, but the plasterer can put a strip of metal lath over it if he's not happy

- it's basically the same stuff as an angle bead but without the rigid corner bit, so it will bend round. Comes on a roll.

auctions

No it isn't. The pre expanded metal bead days used wooden dowels to set up corners and wall edges for plasterers. They were nailed to wedges in the wall. Altogether a time consuming job.

If the wedges have come loose they need refixing or maybe they can be bonded to the wall with PVA and plaster.

The rounded features gives a room a lot more character that is only recognisable subconciously. A sort of warmer, softer feel. It suits oranges and yellows much better than strong sharp square edges which suit the more clinical whites and creams of modern mass production.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Use square metal beads only if you buy your furniture at Ikea.

Reply to
tiscali

Thanks for the tips guys - I'll try to keep the rounded edges. No point in spoiling the period features.

Reply to
Chris

A rounded corner is far tougher wearing than a square corner, as well as character in keeping with the building.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thanks folks. The replastering is complete, and although some odd spots needed a bit of sanding, a couple of coats of paint ought to cover the corners nicely. Thanks for all your help.

Reply to
Chris