Baseboard bullnose corners

I am not familiar with the product you describe.

I can tell you it does not take much metal to deflect the average air nail.

And horrible things can happen when they deflect.

So if there is metal, I would break out the drill and nail set.

Sorry. :)

Reply to
Colbyt

I bought the small corners that go on the corners of bullnose to match the baseboards. Are these okay to just shoot on with the nailer, or should I drill through them and the sheet metal of the bullnose and then use finishing nails?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Never head OS corner bead called that before.

For sure drill and nail. I am 99.99% certain a 16g nail gun will not shoot through it.

Reply to
Colbyt

The bull nose that I work with is vinyl. I have never used metal bullnose corner bead. I just glue these bullnose base corners on, and, as Norm says, I use a few pins to hold it in place until the glue dries. It is easier to align them with the baseboard when I do it this way. The brad nailer does not move the piece like a nail gun does and it is easy to hold it exactly where you want it and pin it in place. I use construction adhesive or adhesive caulk as the glue.

I have used the nail gun to shoot through the metal cornerbead on regular square corners and it does just fine. I would estimate that I have run over 300,000 lf of base, and have never had a nail deflect in metal cornerbead. I have had them deflect off of drywall nails or screws, though.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Bullnose is a sheet metal put on sheetrock corners to make them round.

Baseboard is wood or synthetic trim put to cover up where the sheetrock meets the carpet on the bottom.

The round corners wrap around from the two pieces of baseboard to make a continuous run of the same profile, and have it look nice and finished. The round corners are round because if they were square corners, they wouldn't fit on the round bull nose. These are wood.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I will defer to Robert's post, as I know his experience is far greater than mine.

I still would not personally use a nail gun where the corner bead was.

Reply to
Colbyt

Cut yourself two short pieces of base for the nailing of the bull nose trim. Adjust the bull nose trim (baseboard samples - alignment ) and shoot with two long brads. Use the base pieces on the next outside corner... Get the brad through the bull/ corner bead without splitting it :)

-- Oren

Reply to
Oren

Likewise with the vinyl bullnose. The only metal corner beads I still use are the paper covered inside and outside corners when I want a really sharp edge somewhere.

RicodJour