Bandsaw recommendation

Page 2 of 2
I have decided on the Rikon 325. Given what I will be using it for and how often, think this 14" saw will do everything i want it to do including some basic resawing. Also, give the fact that my local Woodcraft has all power equipment on sale for 10% off, that brings it down to $675. Anything else would be a $300+ jump up, which I don't think would justify the benefits.
Thank you everyone for taking time to respond. Your feedback was very helpful.
- Clayton
Malathan wrote:

Ummm, yeah... I don't know how to say this....
Just went down to the shop to put the stand for the Rikon together, then the mobile base, then put the stand on the base and think about possibly hefting the body of the saw up onto the base.... I am a big boy and have carried a Jet 161/2 floor standing drill press down to the basement.....
Then I noticed that one of the bolt holes to attach the body to the base was drilled off the location where the other three were. Huh. Intentional? Ummm, no. More like a QC problem. Damn. Would hafta drill it out or something as there is a nut that the bolt threads into welded to the base below. So no tolerance of 1/4" off. Damn. And that plate welded to the bottom of the saw isn't going to be swapped out either. Don't think I can drill it out either.
When I get it back to Woodcraft, I am going to replace it with a Powermatic. The 14" they have on sale. Free riser block. $799 after rebate. $45 bucks more. Shoulda done it in the first place.
Just disappointing. Mebbe check yours out afore ya lug it down to the basement and have to lug it back out.
Maybe before you take it out of the store. Damn. I've heard of people having to deal with crap like this with other mfr's but I thought I PAID for QC.
Disheartened D'ohBoy, who's gonna hafta lug that bitch outta the basement.
Before you pull it out, try calling Rikon to see what they have to say. Maybe they might have a solution or something. It is worth a shot at least. Besides, waiting a night is good to cool off before making such calls (I can vouch for that many many times) and am often surprised by support and their helpfullness where I had expected nothing but a wall.
- Clayton