Are stainless steel screws worth it in this case?

Page 2 of 2
Why not skip the metal screws and just use dowels? Glue them. Might as well use the same wood for dowels as the rest of the project. That way all parts are of homogenous wood. Using a rigid metal fastener in an outdoor wood project joint is nearly always the place where, over time, flex occurs. When you have a rigid material like metal and a giving material like wood , over time that is where the joint almost always fails. As mentioned dissimiliar materials like wood and metal interact on a chemical level with both suffering degradation weakening the joint.
more info on dowels at www.ilovewood.com click on Alburnams Archive in the left column , then scroll down to #44
PSobon wrote:

Big River writes:

What? Let's talk about expansion and contraction in a different grain direction with dowels. ANd it is not dissimilar materials reacting, as most woods won't react too badly with steel screws (though they will eventually rust), but oaks react horribly, turning black (which doesn't seem to harm holding power all that much: I had to discard a 20+ year old white oak picnic table a few years ago, but mostly because I was sick of lifting it to cut grass. It had galvanized nails holding it together and was still structurally fine).
Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun
PSobon wrote:

Spend the few extra pennies and get the SS. You can get them from McFeelys or Lee Valley. I like them so much I use them even where SS it not a requirement.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"PSobon" < snipped-for-privacy@cit.com> wrote in message
Rob Stokes writes:

IME, no matter what a screw is coated with, it eventually fails because the coating fails. Case in point: I built a redwood deck about 15 years ago using the best quality galvanized screws available at the time. When we get back to Virginia in a couple weeks, a large part of my early work will involve replacing boards in that deck where rusty screws have caused board ends to rot. Not about to use redwood this time, either. It turns black (mildew) in Virginia.
Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun
IME, no matter what a screw is coated with, it eventually fails because the

I've had pretty much the same experience with coated deck screws, but they didn't last 15 years. Some of them only lasted 5 before they rusted to the point where they broke.
I've made probably a dozen Adirondack Chairs from cypress; some are now 7 years old, constantly exposed to weather. Used stainless steel square drive screws I got at the local Home Depot. Countersunk the heads and left them exposed. Never a problem. I figure the screws cost less than $5 per chair.
DonkeyHody "Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."
Paul,
My second WW project ever were 2 Adirondak chairs. Painted mine white and used some deck screws from the BORG. They didn't rust but the black residue others mentioned was sure easy to see against that white background, and it wasn't easy to clean it off.
Chuck
On 2 Jun 2004 08:06:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@cit.com (PSobon) wrote:

The SS screws won't blacken the wood like the zinc-coated ones. A boat supply shop will have all kinds of SS hardware.